Skip to main content
Topic: Day 05 [0659 hrs.] Cascade Failure (Read 1849 times) previous topic - next topic

Day 05 [0659 hrs.] Cascade Failure

[ Captain Ives | Turbolift | Deck 06 > 02 | Vector 01 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @SaraKnight 
[Show/Hide]
After an early training session in the Upper Gymnasium, where Jien had practised with a bokken in one of the sparring rings, he'd showered off and changed his form to wear his uniform. He was heading for the turbolifts when he noticed an Orion woman with long hair there as well. A couple of seconds later, the sliding doors opened for them, and they stepped inside. That was when he recognised her.

"Lieutenant Amissa?" he said, remembering her from the Great Hall, and how she'd been on a temporary assignment to Security on the Oneida. She'd been a part of the Security detail led by Lieutenant RraHnam, and had stood out in the way that she'd been in a white exosuit rather than the gold edition that Security wore. Since then, Jien had read Commander Ravon's report that she'd transferred to the Lone Wolves. "Welcome aboard the Theurgy, I hear you are in flight training for the Mk III Valkyrie? Deck 1 please."

The turbolift chirped in acknowledgement , and the car began to move while Amissa replied. Jien did recall how they had both been hurt during the mission, the Orion being on of those who had stood in the Infested Councilor Kopek's way, delaying him before he could reach Martok. Jien had been hurt too, and he was still visiting Sickbay on a daily basis in order to have his morphogenic matrix treated. Gorka's dagger had destabilised it to the degree that he'd had great difficulty retaining his form, which was a state that could be life-threatening if untreated, but it was getting easier by the day.

"Have you fully recovered from your injuri- "

Suddenly, the turbolift lurched to a complete stop, and the control panel inside the lift burst open, with a shower of sparks raining over the two of them. Jien lost his balance, since the lift was moving quite fast. Since they were travelling to the highest deck of the ship, his feet even left the floor, before he ended up on the deck plating - back propped up against the side.

Re: Day 05 [0659 hrs.] Cascade Failure

Reply #1
[LtJG Amissa, Callsign “Emerald” | Turbolift | Deck 06 > 02 | Vector 01 | USS Theurgy] @Auctor Lucan
[Show/Hide]
Amissa’s sleep cycle was messed up for certain. She hadn’t slept well all night and was certain she was going to need to get with someone to get some stimulants so she could get on a cycle more compatible with the rest of the crew. About two hours earlier, she had given up and opted for a swim. She’d heard about the Public Baths a couple days prior and this had seemed as good an opportunity as any.

She’d spent the time well, getting in several laps before visiting the jacuzzi. The water had been great and was quite relaxing. Finally, however, she decided it was time for her to start getting prepared for the day. What was going to be bad, though, was that her next sleep cycle would be due to start about midday.

I just hope raktajino can get me through. I wonder if that cute doctor from the other day will help me? Hmm. Maybe if I ask - nicely.

After changing back into her duty uniform, today with the skirt option, she proceeded to the nearest turbolift. As she was waiting, she noticed that the Captain, this time in his male form, had also stepped up to the lift doors, just as they slid open as if they knew the Captain was there and he had special priority.

Which, given the ship’s AI, is not entirely impossible.

They stepped inside together, Amissa giving the Captain the first entry, and she turned to face the doors as they slid shut.

“Lieutenant Amissa?" She was both surprised and pleased that he remembered her name. She hadn’t thought he’d known her identity given the fact that she had been part of the Oneida crew at the time. "Welcome aboard the Theurgy, I hear you are in flight training for the Mk III Valkyrie? Deck 1 please."

The beep of the computer indicated acknowledgement of the order and she felt the lift begin it’s travel. She didn’t give her own destination since she hadn’t any real destination to provide. Best to just let the Captain go where he needed to go first.

"Have you fully recovered from your injuri- "

Without warning, the turbolift suddenly stopped, and thanks to inertia Amissa was thrown to the deck as a panel burst open in a shower of sparks. She noticed that the Captain had also been thrown off his feet and was now on the deck with his back against the wall of the lift, not very far from her.

“Wha- What just happened?” She sat up, grateful she hadn’t suffered more injuries, and looked over at the Captain. “Are you alright, sir?”

She pushed herself off the deck and regained her footing, quickly dusting herself off before extending a hand to the Captain to assist him up.
Lt. JG Amissa | Fighter Pilot, Callsign "Emerald", USS Theurgy
[Show/Hide]

Reply #2
[ Captain Ives | Turbolift | Deck 02 | Vector 01 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @SaraKnight 
[Show/Hide]
When the Orion officer held out her hand, Jien gave her a quick smile and took it, hoisting himself back on his feet with her help.

"My thanks," he said and looked at the control panel, which definitely wouldn't give them any answers when it came to her question about what might have happened. "I don't know, but let's find out. Thea?"

[Aye, Captain?]

"Could you tell us what the malfunction is in turbolift... D47?" he asked, checking the registry while he tucked his uniform jacket straight.

[Oh dear, my readings show an EPS overload due to a cascade failure, originating from repairs two decks down. A conduit running alongside the lift overloaded from the added output, catching you mid-transit. I have already informed Engineering, but there might be some time before they can get to you. May I suggest you use the jefferies tubes? Internal sensors say that, while there is some residual smoke, you should be able to climb safely to the closest access above the current position of the lift.]

"I see. So there is no risk that the lift falls from its current location?"

[No, the magnetic seals have released, so it won't move.]

"Thank you, Thea. Please inform the repair crew that there is no rush on our account here," he said and began to hike up his sleeves, raising his eyes to the hatch at the top of the lift. "Are you ready? I can push you up there."

He steepled his fingers and then made a foothold for the Orion, ready to hoist her up to the hatch.

Reply #3
LtJG Amissa, Callsign “Emerald” | Turbolift | Deck 06 > 02 | Vector 01 | USS Theurgy Attn: @Auctor Lucan
[Show/Hide]
With the Captain back on his feet, he quickly set out to ascertain what had occurred. Thea, the ship’s AI confirmed that there had been an EPS overload resulting from a cascade failure. Thea had also informed them that it might be some time before help arrived. Captain Ives had pushed up the hatch in the top of the lift and then looked over at her.

"I see. So there is no risk that the lift falls from its current location?"

[No, the magnetic seals have released, so it won't move.]

"Thank you, Thea. Please inform the repair crew that there is no rush on our account here," he said and began to hike up his sleeves, raising his eyes to the hatch at the top of the lift. "Are you ready? I can push you up there."

Amissa smiled at the Captain. She’d just had a nice relaxing swim and now she was about to do a bunch of climbing. Not to mention that she was wearing a skirt. Not that she was exactly modest, she was an Orion woman after all, but with him below her, she found herself briefly wondering how much he’d enjoy the view.

“Ready, Captain.” She stepped into the Captain’s hand-foothold and as he thrust her up, she reached for the edge of the hatch, then pulled herself up. Once up, she scrambled for her footing, then just as quickly lay flat across the top and reached her own hand down to help pull the Captain up, trusting the fact that she was flat on her stomach to help provide additional leverage as she hoisted. She wasn’t exactly strong, but with the leverage she calculated she would have enough to help pull his hand to the ledge at the very least.

“Your turn, sir. Just grab hold and I will help lift.”
Lt. JG Amissa | Fighter Pilot, Callsign "Emerald", USS Theurgy
[Show/Hide]

Reply #4
[ Captain Ives | Turbolift | Deck 02 | Vector 01 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @SaraKnight 
[Show/Hide]
Belatedly, Jien realised that me may have made the Orion officer uncomfortable with his suggestion to hoist her up first, having thought himself a gentleman in doing so and not considered the fact that the pilot was wearing the skirt variant of the uniform.

Yet Amissa didn't make any outward sign towards being uncomfortable, readily stepping into the foothold that he'd made for her, so he pushed her up and through the open hatch as best as he might. Whatever glimpse gained in the process he didn't really acknowledge, the situation hardly being one for such thoughts, regardless how enticing the woman might be - pheromones or not. The pilot helped Jien get a firm grip on the edge, and he needed no further aid after that, being able to pull himself up without much trouble. Once he got to his feet on top of the turbolift, he looked around for the maintenance ladder. True to what Thea had said, the air was filled with smoke from the EPS conduit overload, but it seemed to be restricted to the level they were currently at.

"Do you want to go first, or shall I?" he asked with a faint smile, and then covered his nose and mouth with the sleeve of his uniform so that he might not inhale too much of the smoke.

Given the choice of uniform that Amissa had made, Jien wanted to let her decide if she was comfortable going first or not, and he'd oblige her wish and climb first or second depending on her answer. It wasn't a long climb to the next available accessway to the jefferies tubes either. "I think we might end up in Life Support, if memory serves."

- FIN

Simple Audio Video Embedder