Skip to main content
Topic: Award Poll: Pon Farr Award 2021 (Read 3208 times) previous topic - next topic

Award Poll: Pon Farr Award 2021

Awarded to the writers of an erotic scene that stands out way above the norm in terms of emotion, adherence to character, atmosphere and steaminess.

The poll will run for 3 days, in which those who cast their vote should always take their time to read the linked scenes first. The award should be based on the award criteria and not because you personally like the nominee(s) overall. The nominee(s) who get the most votes will receive the Pon Farr Award. If you are a Nominee, you may not vote on your own scene.

Here are the nominations, with more information on the nominated writers & threads, which has been complemented by private nominations of additional writers in nominated threads:

NOMINATION 01: HOT ROCKS & COMPROMISES

Forum Name of Nominee: @Brutus
Reason for Nomination: His amazing work across the board deserves recognition.
Motivation & Links:
Hot Rocks and Compromises
"Brutus is easily one of the finest writers I have ever read. I’d nominate Auctor again for a second award if it was allowed. But this thread, the way it builds up the pace and events is a clear example of what happens when two masters put their mind to writing. It was a pleasure to read this as it was written initially and now that it is completed and can be reread as a single concise piece, it was even more enjoyable. I salute you both."

NOMINATION 02: TAN LINES

Forum Name of Nominee: @Nolan & @Brutus
Reason for Nomination: It's a top notch thread, and two of the sim's oldest writers (yes guys, you're old) deserve recognition in this category.
Motivation & Links:
Tan Lines
"As far as steaminess goes, this thread is right up there. The thread is long but doesn't drag, including rather lovely romance and character-building along with the lovemaking. Faye and Riley are one of the more notable couples in the sim, with a rather mature relationship that both writers handle very well. They make great use of the setting, write two excellent guest NPCs and make it an excellent read overall. The erotic RP is excellent, but the romantic aspect and use of character are what elevate this thread to my mind. Great stuff all round."

NOMINATION 03: COVERT SHUTTLE OPS

Forum Name of Nominee: @BipSpoon & @Nero (Nominee added post nomination)
Reason for Nomination: Natural development of the thread and organic execution while staying true to character traits
Motivation & Links:
Covert Shuttle Ops
"Even though it wasn't the most erotic thread of all the contenders, I enjoyed working with BipSpoon on it. The natural progression of the sequence of events culminated in the face of death not in sex but in what I thought was an interesting erotic encounter between Cameron Henshaw and Logan Hale which has brought some tension between those two characters. And even though I was involved in this thread myself, I would like to thank BipSpoon with this nomination. I often hesitate to write of erotica and sex and like to skip over such with the usual fade to black, as it is somewhat of a taboo subject for me for whatever reason. BipSpoon took away my hesitation and helped me feel confident about something I would have otherwise just skipped over."

NOMINATION 04: ONCE IT'S GONE

Forum Name of Nominee: @stardust 
Reason for Nomination: "Exceptional quality of writing capturing a single moment and remaining within the confined focus of a single character's perspective" & "Challenging her writing partner to match her brilliance."
Motivation & Links:
Once It's Gone
"While not explicit in its content it is one of the finest examples of staying within the mind of a character I have ever seen.  This post takes a simple moment, and slows it down to where that one, moment becomes the character’s entire existence.  It is an amazing read that is written with a well-paced flow that carries the reader through the moment as if they were the character in the scene.  It is deep in characterization, perspective, emotion while at the same time painting a vibrant picture in the readers mind." Additonally: "I've written 'erotic' and 'romantic' encounters between two characters in the past, but never have I gone through such an encounter without using crass or typical language to describe what's happening between those characters. What Stardust achieved in how she wrote, and in fact how she always writes, is an example of someone rising above the standard fair, and embarking on a journey that elevated the interaction/encounter the two characters were having. Instead of Samantha Rutherford and Andrew Fisher simply having sex, they connected in an almost spiritual way that wouldn't have been nearly as impactful, were it not for how Stardust drove the direction of that thread. It feels like a poetic story of coupling, wherein the cracks lies the hints of eroticism, but it doesn't feel dirty or nasty in a usual way. It's an achievement in it's own right, and it forced me as her writing partner in the thread to really rise to a standard I'd never before thought I could."

NOMINATION 05: ULTIMAIMPERTRIXIA

Forum Name of Nominee: @UltimaImperatrixia
Reason for Nomination: With skill, creativity and a keen talent for immersing oneself into their character's world
Motivation & Links:
"Again, this writers lyrical prowess is not limited to just one encounter: A Reconvened Interest & Walking through the Valley of Death (WIP)
With skill, creativity and a keen talent for immersing oneself into their character's world, Ultima manages to turn the sheer act of biological colligation into an ode to the spirits of erotica. That being said, he also manages to marry the descriptive, physical aspects of the scene, with the inner turmoil and struggle of the character. Making their inward, as well as outward, reactions fall effortlessly in line with what the character had been set up with. No, he manages to elevate it. Ultima is a terrific writer that infuses the mechanical abstraction, that sex can be, into a poetic lesson in character building and scene development, that his writing partners get the profound privilege to learn from. And I know, it isn't always easy for him, but he's a trooper for good smut, through and through."

NOMINATION 06: PUBLIC BATHS

Forum Name of Nominee: @Pierce @Juzzie  @Griff
Reason for Nomination: "The trio managed to craft an excellent story of exploration and pushing boundaries for all three characters, albeit in one of the AU threads (What if, public baths)" Additionally: "Look, this was damn hot to read, I'm not going to lie, that's part of the reason for nominating this. It was a great threesome."
Motivation & Links:
"Starts with this post: https://uss-theurgy.com/forum/index.php/topic,2301.msg30122.html#msg30122

Now, full candor, this thread has a lot of really good (and really out of date good lord all the writers not here anymore) sub plots going in it. The whole thread was designed to explore characters in ways that might not be feasible in the main story, and let writers have fun and let off a little steam (heh). I'm nominating this specific trio because, in addition to the great detail in the actual acts of lust, all three writers showed how their characters were exploring themselves, and each other, their inner desires, their conflicts with self image, with fitting into what could have been an uncomfortable situation. Pushing personal boundaries. Willing to experience new sensations, or help guide others to a better understanding of themselves. All while writing, as noted, a well formed intimate scene. Really couldn't be happier with reading what they came up with. While it was an AU thread that won't have any concrete impact to the story canon, I can only imagine it has helped better inform the writers of their own creations and allowed for exploration in many forms, all while being damn hot. Since I'm starting to repeat myself, I'll simply say: Can you ask for more?"

Thank you in advance for your voting in this award category!

Best Regards,

Auctor Lucan

Re: Award Poll: Pon Farr Award 2021

Reply #1
POLL CLOSED, AND THE WINNER IS.....

@stardust , for "Once it's gone"! Congratulations and well earned! Award badge added!  (L)

Thanks you to all who voted, and a shout-out to all the worthy nominees for the award as well.  :)

Best,

Auctor Lucan

Simple Audio Video Embedder