Skip to main content
Topic: Dedication & Suffering 2019 | Award Nominations (Read 4027 times) previous topic - next topic

Dedication & Suffering 2019 | Award Nominations

DEDICATION & SUFFERING 2019 | AWARD NOMINATIONS

The results for the Researcher's Medal and Depth of Character award polls have been posted, so make sure you go there and congratulate the recipients. :)

Nominations for two new Writing Awards are now open until the 13th of December, where two separate polls will be posted soon afterwards for the two award categories and their nominated scenes respectively.

This time the awards are these:

Awarded to a player in recognition of their willingness and ability to put their character through extraordinary personal hardship, be it suffering through sickness or personal crisis, through which the writer contributed superb posts relevant to the situation. The writer who gains this award is a master at torturing their character(s) for the enjoyment of others.

Earlier Recipients (no longer eligible): @Brutus  

Awarded to a writer who through real-life crisis keep current with plot despite an overwhelming level of events occurring or mounting obligations. The player may be only able to post at a minimum level for up to three months, but their contribution is consistent and focused.

Earlier Recipients (no longer eligible): @Even Angels Cry 

NOMINATION RULES

Here are the rules for Award Nominations:

• Nominations should be posted in the announced nomination thread posted on the forum. Anonymous nominations may be made to the Game Moderator via PM on the forum, who will then post the nomination in the nomination thread.
  • Nominations are to be made before the announced nomination time expires.
  • Nominations may be made by any member that isn't an Applicant.
  • Self-nominations are not permitted.
  • There is no limit to the number of nominations one can make.
  • Prior winners of the same awards are not eligible.
  • Each nomination should include a motivation. The nomination write-up is 50 words minimum and should concentrate on why the recipient(s) is/are deserving of the award. You should also make sure to include links.

All nominations will be added to the polls that will determine the winner of the awards. 

NOMINATION FORM

• Forum Name of Nominee(s)
  • Primary Reason for Nomination
  • Secondary Reason for Nomination (Optional)
  • Motivation & Links (50 words minimum)

Of course, you should only nominate scenes where at least one of the writers in the scene are still an active writer on the forum. There is no need to nominate scenes where all writers that wrote it have left the sim a long time ago.

I look forward to reading your nominations here in this thread! :)

Best Regards,

Auctor Lucan

Re: Dedication & Suffering 2019 | Award Nominations

Reply #1
Ok, I guess I'll kick the nominations off then?

I'd like to nominate the following people for the Writer's Heart Award:

- @trevorvw & @lisavw
- @Arista
- @Numen

Trevorvw, Lisavw and Arista all continued their writing with the sim while simultaneously caring for a newborn child. While I know this is in no way a sickness or real-life crisis, it is a major event that greatly impacts the time one has for other endeavours, such as writing in the sim, and I think that these writers ought to be recognized for their continued contributions to the sim despite the added responsibility (and lack of sleep) that comes with caring for a tiny Human. (This would only count as two nominations, technically. Trevorvw and Lisavw should be nominated together, since they are both caring for the same Tiny Human. Also, their Tiny Human is fucking adorable... Just sayin'...)

Numen I'd like to nominate for the fact that she has continued writing consistently through the last 2 Inktobers, where she not only keeps up with her usual artwork commissions during the month of October, but takes on the added workload of producing a piece of artwork a day for the entire month. Despite what I can only imagine being an incredibly stressful workload that comes with this undertaking, Numen keeps up with her posting and character development, and continues to be an asset to the sim.

Reply #2
I would like to nominate @Numen for The Scourge award.

Ever since introducing the Andorian Shar to the sim, the shen has been stuck in a long-running nightmare of her ship being destroyed, captured by unknown aliens, subjected to reproductive experimentation, humiliated in front of her crewmates, subject to the crazed fantasy of a thaan, dealing with Shall's increasingly harried mood, stuck with an offspring she never wanted, and finally deciding to desert and return to her clan.

Through it all Numen has skillfully shown Shar's emotions and her methods of working through the situations, eventually culminating with her desertion, quite possibly one of the most difficult decisions anyone could make.  Numen was always willing to put Shar through the wringer to help develop her and the others around her, never shying away from the horrors that her character would face.

Patriotic Dignity
To Arms!
Dropspace
Shelthreth
When time stands still (Thus Ends...)

Reply #3
ugh, I wanted to bring in nominations earlier, but life's been lurching around me this week. In any case, a complete support to the forum recent parents nomination, who I think they deserve a strong and highly deserved award. For my behalf, I will say that Arista's Tiny Human is also adorable and that  deserves 100% that Arista takes his attention away from us ;)

For the writer's heart

Forum Name of Nominee(s) @Stegro88 @Auctor Lucan @BZ
Primary Reason for Nomination For house relocations
Motivation & Links (50 words minimum) One of the most stressful situations in which you can engage is a change of residence. If this fact has combined with a job and children, it is a genuine nightmare. These three writers have gone through this drama, survived the trial and have never left us alone, in fact they have continued to contribute to the SIM in an exemplary and regular manner. Although each of these theurgists lives in a different corner of the world I think they should be rewarded as a whole, not only for their effort to keep the pace as much as they can, but because they have reported their problems in an efficient way so that their fellow writers have known at every moment when they should have had slowdowns and when they have been able to return to their usual rhythms.

As far as I know, many of the regular writers have had (or have at the moment) rather difficult situations, so it has percolated into the OOC of the forum, in discord or by private messages. Although I think it is not correct to reveal this kind of things publicly, I think that a good part of the SIM deserves a hug and a medal for having continued to post throughout these ... more than two years ... since the previous prize. Your consistency and effort to keep the story going is commendable.

My most formal congratulations to:
- all forum parents
-all those who have had sick relatives
-all those who have had stressful moments at work
-all those who have changed jobs, those who have lost their jobs or those who have had to look for new jobs in different circumstances
-all those who have endured long-term illnesses and health problems of any kind, being those physical, emotional, mental or whatever.
-all those who have had to deal with IRL shitstorms of any kind

...and, despite all this, they have continued writing in the forum on a regular basis. You guys are terrific!

For the scourge award

Forum Name of Nominee(s) @Fife
Primary Reason for Nomination Because his favorite pastime is torturing characters and he doesn't hide it. If Cross and Ekon were real, they'd kick his ass.
Secondary Reason for Nomination (Optional)Because I hate Fif. He makes me fond of his characters and then does those ugly things to them >:( (No, I haven't forgiven him about Ekon yet)
Motivation & Links (50 words minimum) Let's split this up. First Ekon. This poor NCO had very little time to shine, but he was a charismatic, cheerful character with an interesting background that could have contributed a lot to the story. He went through the Borg and Asurian assault of the Cayuga, had to deal with two members of a species he hated (and without punching them! all self-controlled our good Ekon), was left behind in the Theurgy, was assimilated by the Borg (there is worse fate for someone with El-Aurian blood?????) to end up dying a HORRID death in the hands of someone whom he must hate but in whom he decided to trust. Poor Ekon needs a posthumous medal for himself.

Then there's Cross. If we start with his background, we are already crying: a subject of experimentation without parents, without family or friends for much part of his life, tortured to satiety, without ties to their cultures of origin and with minimal self-control over his impulses. Well, he gets rehabilitated, doesn't he? He becomes a reliable Starfleet officer despite being the grump overlord. Don't worry that Fife has more shitstorms ready for him: the ship where his friends are? destroyed. He is kidnapped by aliens, tortured and turned into the part of himself that he hates the most. By the way, why not lose an arm too? And deal with a loudmouth Klingon? For Fife that's not enough, so... why not make him befriend a crazy engineer and end in the brig? and have the most embarrassing situation of his life with a robot that is going to make him NEVER return to sickbay in his life of his own free will. And well, after that, he'll need therapy, won't he? What better than with the two most traditional Vulcans of the Theurgy, to annoy him a tad more? Fife, give this poor man a break... ah no... you've put him in an ancient ritual WITH OTHER THREE VULCANS. Fife, leave poor Cross alone! He's already had enough with those caterpillar eyebrows, geez.

Forum Name of Nominee(s) @Stegro88
Primary Reason for Nomination Lorad and Mickayla bogaloo
Secondary Reason for Nomination (Optional) have no qualms about putting his characters in the worst possible scenarios. For character development, right?
Motivation & Links (50 words minimum) What better than to have a Klingon hybrid who hates her Qo'noS blood than to be forced to inhabit a body she hates in a culture she neither understands nor accepts. Of course being bothered by another Klingon and having to deal with a lot more Klingon because now they are her allies. Of course, let us not forget that her Klingon blood led her to kill a former crewmate......... what a joy! On the other hand Lorad. Former slave soldier, who escapes from his captors when his family is killed only to be the cause of his ship being damaged (wounding his half-sister in the process) joins people he does not fully trust only to betray his sister and everything he has believed in. But it' s all right, that's not much. By the way he is also assimilated by the Borg, he loses an eye and a few organs in the process and his sister's trust. Lorad, you need a break.

Forum Name of Nominee(s) @BZ
Primary Reason for Nomination For the life, work and sorrow of Emelia Marguerite "Blue" Tiran
Secondary Reason for Nomination (Optional) I'm totally biased about this character and I'm not gonna hide it. I find her a tremendous writing exercise and a character internalization that lead to reactions based strictly on IC events or the past of the character. She (and the writer behind her) are simple EXCELLENT.
Motivation & Links (50 words minimum) I think I have written in other nominations why I think Blue is an excellent character and that what he has suffered so far in the story provides for a lifetime in therapy (right Hathev?) but let's make a summary: a childhood of neglect and rejection, a destroyed ship, the love of her life given for dead (I will brag of Shar's outstanding bitch mode at the end of this thread) A runaway and alone time in the maintenance tunnels of a hostile ship, witnessing terrible experiments and suffering from hunger, thirst, paranoia and moments of self-mutilation. to make a pact with a declared enemy, to partially lead an insurgency, to fight an unequal fight against a Scion, to be rescued only to discover that (at least) there was still justice in the galaxy and Ducote was alive... and to become shortly the chief engineer of a ship that needs (at least) ONE MONTH in the dry dock for the amount of damage it has suffered. Did you like working Miss Tiran? Well, you have plenty of work.

Forum Name of Nominee(s) @Auctor Lucan
Primary Reason for Nomination For the fall and rise of Echtand qi Versant
Secondary Reason for Nomination (Optional) Echtand hasn't had a single nomination in this award season and he deserves it. He's a douchebag but I'm fond of him, so to speak.
Motivation & Links (50 words minimum) First of all, I want to make it clear that I know that many people have no appreciation for Echtand. He has done despicable things, he belongs to a very morally grey race (pun intended), and his help has been, at all times, in exchange for selfish reasons for his own species (abductees were a means to an end, after all, the Savi were the important ones in his eyes) And yet it has had a moral drift from the character, from a cold observer to participating in a mutiny to sacrificial lamb in a fratricidal war to return his species to its original path. And... Well, like any other good messiah, with an unexpected return from beyond the grave. Quite a trip, isn't it? And all that remains to be suffered by that poor guy. And I still think there's a lot more to tell about Echtand and I hope to read it soon. I know that such neutral characters are not for everyone's taste. Echtand is not a hero but for himself and his own, his decisions at times have been more than despicable but ... is not part of the charm of the antiheroes and antagonists? Many times they are much more interesting because of how fallible they are.

// EDITED AND COMPLETE I'm sure i've forget to nominee some awesome writers and characters but my brain can't do anything more this week, sorry! //

Simple Audio Video Embedder