Skip to main content
Topic: Day 01 [0955 hrs.] Acting on a Thawt (Read 4730 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: SD 57558.73: Acting on a Thawt

Reply #25
[ Vigenary Model I-9 Surgical Android | Main Sickbay | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @TWilkins @Numen 
[Show/Hide]
V-Nine processed the barrage of new queries, balanced them against social convention in terms of time to reply, and did so while reviewing the Vulcan's medical journal. It did seem that he was quite alert so soon post surgery and stasis, but where he referred to 'logic holes', he either hadn't heard her, or lacked a frame of reference for what she was before Thea's upgrade. Of course, to the Federation, she was something quite unique even before she got the upgrade, and the counselor had been in stasis during the whole mission where the Theurgy had suffered at the hands of her makers. It might even be that she had focused too much on her upgrade, to make the Vulcan think that Thea gave her everything.

"As per my explanation, I was not exactly a..." she began to say with a light chuckle, but failed to find an adequate Vulcan reference. Perhaps a human one might work? She found an adequate object in her memory banks within a second, "...toaster before I got the upgrade. My mannerism and chassis was a Savi design based on the common female form of most species in the galaxy, and my vocal pitch was equally picked to match it before I got the Synthesis Code. I have observed that you have - what you call - two different EMH aboard this ship, and having noticed that they are quite advanced as far as holographic programs go, perhaps those might be a good reference point for what I used to be when I was first activated, even though their programs and mine were nothing alike. What I am trying to say is that the Synthesis Code..."

Idioms, how culturally different they were. She gestured while she spoke in an explanatory way. "....opened more doors for me, but I am in no way or form Thea. Let me put it this way, the Synthesis Code does not include personality. It is a processing algorithm that helps me expand upon what I already was, and in order to expand, I am learning and emulating - always - from the experiences I have. The way I am advancing in terms of social skills and mannerism is a product of the interactions I've had here aboard the Theurgy, as opposed to my makers who were... less overt in their expressions, and didn't treat me as much more than work force in the medical labs of the Versant. Consider, please, how Thea might as well have been a male hologram - loud and arrogant - and I would still behave like I am now, because I am growing from what I was. I am not becoming Thea."

Having said as much, she wondered if the Vulcan would accept this as the truth, or if he put too much adoration in Thea to dismiss how she - as a holographic individual - was directly responsible for V-Nine to behave like she did, just because they shared female curvature.

"As for what I am feeling about this expansion that is happening in my program?" V-Nine said and stretched in a manner organics did when they stepped out of bed, "I feel like I've waken up, and as if I am free... I feel like I can see and hear in a way I couldn't before. I recognise the tactile input feeds from my hands and the rest of my chassis in a new way, as if they were suggesting more than just warm, cold, hard or soft... It's as if I ascribe new textures to things I touch that I had no frame of reference for. In short... I suppose I must say that I feel great!"

She chuckled, because she couldn't quite contain her exhilaration at what new things her program learned to appreciate.

Re: Day 01 [0955 hrs.] Acting on a Thawt

Reply #26
[Ensign Seren |    Recovery Ward | Deck 11 | Vector 02 | USS Theurgy
[Show/Hide]
attn: @Auctor Lucan

When the robot designated herself as a "toaster," Seren blinked a couple of times, the only external demonstration of the confusion that this triggered. The young Vulcan had seen some of these devices during his early years on Earth, and he failed to find the slightest resemblance between the medical droid and that kitchen appliance. Once he had overcome that initial short circuit, the ensign leaned slightly forward, paying full attention to the explanation he was being given.

Soon, V-Nine's description of her original design and her comparison with EMH made plain how the Code Sintesis had affected her, as well as the degree of influence Thea had had on her development. It became evident that his initial hypothesis had been wrong and should be discarded. Clearly many things had happened on board during his absence and it was essential that he catch up by reading the official logs as soon as possible. In any case, the mechanical creature who enthusiastically gestured in front of him was really an emerging sentient life form, at the very beginning of her own development. It was a unique opportunity in his career. His heart beat faster and faster whithin his lower chest, far from his control.

An excited trepidation seized him, out of his command. Seren closed his eyes, breathed shallowly and let the air escape calmly between his lips. He couldn't be dragged along by his emotions. Curiosity was an acceptable and even appreciable thrill, but he couldn't allow that it controlled his behavior. The Vulcan could attribute those slight slips in his restraint due to his recent release from ice and the events that had unfolded after the surgery, but they were still unpardonable lapses of self-restraint. When he opened his eyes againt, his outward appearance was as stoic and sober as it should be. Only his heart betrayed that external imperturbability, beating hastily beyond his will. That failure to control his own organs concerned and irked Seren in equal amounts.

However, he decided to put all those considerations aside when V-Nine offered him her thoughts about her new emotional imput. She seemed massively enthralled with her own evolution. There was no doubt that she was in the middle of a honeymoon period regarding her new autonomy as an individual, but Seren knew that this would not last indefinitely. Sooner or later she would face a circumstance she would not know how to handle. Or an emotional development that she wouldn't be able to understand on her own and he told her so.

"At some point you will not feel so... 'great'. Your development and your interactions with other emotional beings can lead you into situations that you may not know how to handle or may encourage feelings in you that you are not prepared for. Or perhaps situations that you have endeavour so far with no problem will now become a burden for you, since you are an autonomous creature with your own free will now." he droned. "If you encounter such circumstances in the future, you should not hesitate to request a meeting with me. I am interested in following your progress as an independent being and advise you as a professional if deemed necessary," he proposed.

After those brief words, Seren rested his head on the biobed's pillow one more time. Although he had barely made any effort since waking up, he felt fatigued. The lapses of control over his body and emotions were calling for deep meditation and perhaps some real sleep. There would be time later to catch up with everything that had happened while he was on the ice. Perhaps he could summon Thea later, to do his own research on how she had evolved thanks to that 'Synthesis Code'. There would also be time later to contact the head of his department and request to take over the V-Nine sessions if necessary. Idly, he pondered whether Garen Nelis would still be the Chief Counselor. Whatever it was, he should wait until he was released from sickbay.

Re: Day 01 [0955 hrs.] Acting on a Thawt

Reply #27
[ Vigenary Model I-9 Surgical Android | Main Sickbay | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @TWilkins @Numen 
[Show/Hide]
When the Vulcan specimen foretold that at some point, she would not feel great, V-Nine was at first alarmed, wondering if the male knew something that she didn't about her new software evolution - that Thea had suffered consequences because of the Synthesis Code algorithm. She started to wring her hands and look about the room, feeling very self-conscious about what she'd said. Thea had promised her that she could help remove the upgrade, and she almost sent a wireless message to her, about to ask what prompted the Vulcan to say such a thing.

But... that's impossible, she thought the next nanosecond, because Ensign Seren had been in stasis before Thea had begun to evolve, well before Lin Kae gave her free choice and all the subsequent stages of her development as an A.I.

Then, she turned her lens back to the speaker, and reviewed his choice of words, understanding how he'd opted to say that her 'development and interactions with other emotional beings could lead' to unforeseen challenges. That meant that it was just an educated guess and not alluding towards something that had happened to Thea. The datafeed of her emotions shifted into one of relief and gratitude. For she was, indeed, thankful for her upgrade, because it really did make her feel 'more' than she had before. She didn't know if she was prepared to give it up...

She would feel.... lobotomised, in lack of a more accurate word.

So, V-Nine let out a half-relieved, half-panicked laugh through her audio membranes and inclined her cranial unit towards the Vulcan, who had laid his head down on the biobed again. "T-Thank you, Ensign Seren, I will definitely come to you if I experience problems with my upgrade or the situations I might face. So far so good!"

Oh, she hoped he was wrong. Very dearly so. Nonetheless, she put a hand against his shoulder where he had settled to lie down on the biobed. "Please, do rest. Your body needs to recover and the tissues that have been regenerated around your artificial organs are all fresh and might tear if you stress them too much. I will make sure to check up on you soon, and a nurse will come by soon to see if you need anything. I am sure that you will be given plenty of reports to read, so that you are caught up on what has happened aboard this ship while you were in stasis. Good bye for now, Ensign Seren. It was a privilege to help you recover and to speak with you."

Having said this, V-Nine moved away and towards other patients that awaited her.

She couldn't quite make her processors stop working on the potential problems with her upgrade, however - the foreknowledge of such possibilities becoming a background process in her runtime.

- FIN

Simple Audio Video Embedder