Skip to main content
Topic: Chapter 03: From the Ashes [ Day 04 | 1130 hrs. ] (Read 19081 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Chapter 03: From the Ashes [ Day 04 | 1130 hrs. ]

Reply #100
[Captain Anya Ziegler & Lt. Cmdr. Natalie Stark | CMO's Office | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy 01 ] Joint post by @Brutus and Arista Attn: @Auctor Lucan @Multificionado @Griff @FollowTomorrow @Triton @lisavw @Fife @Doc M. @Veridian @Masorin @Gadget 
[Show/Hide]
[Show/Hide]

Anya sat, disgruntled, in the chair of the CMO’s office. There were times she hated sitting, and this was one of them. The Captain knew why she had been given the seat; she was still frail from the injury she had sustained in the battle and needed to rest, but still, it made her feel like she was some form of delicate flower. That just wouldn’t do.

She still ached in too many places and her head was throbbing. Ziegler had been offered more painkillers but declined. She needed to stay sharp. Especially as she was being brought up to speed on the event that had brought Theurgy here. It sounded fantastical, creatures controlling Starfleet officers for diabolical means. Then again, the changelings also seemed outlandish during the early stages of the Dominion war. At least, it certainly explained her overly intensive debriefing from Starfleet Command when Ives went ‘Rogue’. Anya had still yet to forgive him for that. It almost cost her captaincy before it even started. Now, she had to deal with the premise that, as she suspected, he wasn’t the traitor the news claimed him to be.

All in all, Stark seemed to be holding up well, or at least as well as could be, to the burdens of command. Her arms were crossed under her bust, pushing it up slightly as her tired eyes scanned the room. Nearby, a cup of coffee sat, half drank, on the edge of the desk in the CMO's office, much, she as sure, to the chagrin of the Doctors Franklin and T'Panu it was leaving a stain. Some of the coffee had sloshed over the edge at one point and rings now decorated the otherwise pristine surface.

“Evil plants, ancient gods, genetically engineered madmen, fire fights at a Starbase and now the Borg?” Anya questioned, pausing to move in her chair. It wasn’t comfortable to sit in one position for too long. “It certainly seems you have had quite the adventure since I left. Almost puts our nebula cataloguing mission to shame.”

Stopping to look from her former subordinate, Anya analysed her colleague. Cardassian, equally tired, blue collar. Most likely Science or Counselling as she had said little regarding Ziegler’s physical condition. These girls were dead on their feet. Quickly, Anya pondered if she looked as exhausted.

“I’m not going to pull rank on your ship, Captain.” Ziegler started, turning back to Stark. “But we need a plan. I can’t justify us drifting for any longer than absolutely necessary.”

Raising her eyebrows a bit, Nat shared a quick look with Ejek, then turned back to Anya. This was still very weird, even after the pair had had it out over what had been going on, and Natalie's initial deception. The...conversation still hung heavy in the brunette Lt. Commander's mind, and it was with that as the background that she carefully chose not to point out that, as her ship, she just might not have given a damn if Anya had try to pull rank.

"I agree that we cannot afford to waste much time. There's the Borg to deal with, and frankly, who knows what else lurking in this muck." She paused and picked up her coffee, sipping the cream filled brew. She'd been having too much of it. Soon, she knew, the headache would come, the one caused by an overload of caffeine. The jitters hadn't begun yet, by the grace of God.

"Our Tactical officers should be here shortly," she continued, "And I tasked Masuda with giving me options. He's got a good mind for it. If we live through this I can see him moving up quickly, easily fitting into the position of Second, or First officer." If we aren't all hung for treason, she added mirthlessly.

And as if summoned, so arrived Lt. Yukimura, accompanied by the Junior Grade Lieutenant Martin (who really did bear a resemblance to his sister, Nat mused) as well as Ens.'s Six, following in tow. Sure enough, the Stallion's Tactical Chief set right to the task at hand, laying down his thoughts on a plan for next steps, directly related to the issue of the Borg in the Azure Nebula, a place where they had no right to be.

Her blue eyes turned stormy in color as they darted about, watching the Ensigns carefully. Six gave no outward signs that she felt worried by the scrutiny - at least none that Nat could discern. Ejek, perhaps, as a counselor, might have better luck.

With another glance at Anya, Natalie took in the group, once Masuda finished his proposal.

"I think I speak for both of us when I say that Captain Ziegler and I appreciate the thoroughness of your work, Lieutenant's," She addressed both men. "I agree that this is a highly risky endeavor. However....I do feel it is worthwhile. It is something we must do. And i have some passing familiarity with the Allegiant," she understated, having commanded the ship on a search and rescue mission in the wake of the destruction of the Harbinger. "It’s a fast-little ship, tough as nails, and up for the task. I'm content to release it into your command, Masuda. With Mr. Martin acting as your second?" She asked, turning back to Captain Zielger, not wanting to order the woman's officers around.

“Lieutenant Martin is more than qualified to assist.” Anya nodded, before adding. “I’d also recommend Chief Eboh, Ensign Dumral, Lieutenant Izar and Dr T’Panu to accompany from Cayuga.” The group hit a large amount of needed resources for the away mission. Operations, Conn, Science and Medical. All critical when dealing with the Borg. “I’m going to leave Commander Stark to choose volunteers from Theurgy crew.”

The meeting was coming to a natural conclusion. With a short intake of breath, Ziegler puts her hands against the armrests of the chair and cautiously lifted herself into a standing position. The subdued ache turned sharp, but once she was upright it returned to its dull roar.

Looking over the assembled crew she spoke with authority. Nothing could keep her down. Not even blunt force trauma.

“We are in a unique position to accomplish something great today. Let us not waste it.” She nodded towards Stark. “Unless there is anything else, I’m happy to say good hunting.”

GM Note: Removed Mariner from this JP since he was not present to begin with, a mistake being made about the location of this scene. Triton has been sent his removed post for re-posting later on. :)

Reply #101
[Chief Medical Officer T'Panu | CMO's Office | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy]

As T'Panu stood, listening to all the plans, she couldn't help but wonder what was going to happen next. She was eager for the away mission; to feel like she was able to help out in the battle made her feel much more useful. She couldn't stand sitting around watching everyone get injured anymore, sitting relatively safely in the aft compartment whilst everyone that was still aboard the Cayuga was in serious danger.

She worked on her next strategy while she listened to everyone talking. Perhaps they could use synaptic interfaces like Admiral Janeway did to shut down the Borg Collective and tip the scales in their favour. At this point she hoped they would run into them soon so they could blow them out of the sky. Perhaps they would be able to find their hub and destroy it? She settled for the idea of taking over the hive mind and forcing them to destroy themselves. Less casualties on their side, disastrous damage to the Borg. Maybe it would be enough of a warning for them to never mess with the Federation again and to return to the Delta quadrant where they belonged. Surely she would rather the Borg had never existed, but safety for their crew and everyone in the Alpha quadrant was something she could definitely settle for.

T'Panu had offered more painkillers to Captain Ziegler, but she had declined this round. She was doing much better; albeit sore, but that was to be expected. She was back up on her feet again, with only a few minor traces of cuts and bruises left. It made her look battle worn and ready for their next encounter, T'Panu thought. T'Panu had warned her to take it easy for a few days and try not to do too much. She had pain meds ready for if the Captain wished to take them. She recommended it, but also knew it would make her drowsy and was sure Captain Ziegler would be eager to get back to work.

T'Panu thought about the upcoming mission. Everyone was warned heavily ahead of time that if anything were to go wrong, this could be a one-way ticket. They all understood the risks; however, no one seemed to object to the mission even in the slightest.

T'Panu hoped the probes would make it in time to warn the Federation of the threats they had just encountered. Hopefully they would be in a place they could receive transmissions detailing any information they would need to take them down. T'Panu completely trusted their crew and knew if anyone could exterminate their threat, it was them.

For now, there was nothing to do but prepare and wait. The perks of being on the Theurgy were many. T'Panu was in awe of having real beds again! What felt like an endless stock of medical supplies was a dream compared to what she had gotten used to. Not having to work in such close quarters was another significant bonus. She felt more ready for the upcoming days than she had been in a while. The sooner they could take off and make a stand, the better. T'Panu had never been more prepared for anything in her life as she felt the fire inside of her growing with the promise of battle. She was starting to sound like a Klingon and chuckled to herself as she thought that wasn't very Vulcan of her. She would do whatever it took to bring the Federation to victory over the alien scum and succeed in battle for the safety of their crew and everyone back home.

Reply #102
[ Acting XO Lieutenant Zelosa Ejek | CMO's Office | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy]

Ejek stood with her hands folded in front of her. She had her eyes scanning the people around her, watching their body language and taking the situation’s temperature. She had made her opinion clear to Stark long before they had met with Zeigler. After having it shot down, that was the last of it. When they met the Cayuga’s captain and  officers, it would be as a united front.

She put on a good face though. She could act as if it were only logical to take this course of action, but privately think this is the stupidest thing she’s agreed to. She wondered if Vulcans had this problem.

Zeigler sat, though she did not seem like the kind to sit for very long. Or take care of her health very well at all, for that matter. Thank goodness she wasn’t medical; this could be filed aware squarely in the cabinet marked “not my problem.”

Six...had the full brunt of her anger. She offered the former borg a single look, and did not allow her gaze to linger on her any longer for the rest of the meeting. Her words would be in private. Six had already informed everyone she could hear the borg. The counselor saw no reason to divulge any information from their session. It was already irrelevant now. Privately, Ejek thought the former borg a fool, a child even. No fear, even now...

Masuda was, perhaps, the officer that held Ejek’s favor the most. She did not particularly like the Lieutenant, but he did his work promptly, without any silliness. He was also intelligent, organized, and diligent. The posterboy of Starfleet, or he should be.

T’Panu...was a Vulcan. She held certain thoughts about Vulcans, but would put them aside to see what the CMO would bring. The same could be said about Salem Martin, who bore a striking resemblance to his sister. She could see it in his face, but did he share his sister’s brilliance?

She had nothing more to say. She would not be on this mission. It was obvious to everyone on this ship that she was not cut out for adventure. She did not volunteer anyone herself either. She saw the tension between Stark and Zeigler. She could almost feel it herself when her and Natalie’s eyes met. She did not announce anyone. Stark needed to be in charge here, and Ejek was willing to let her keep up her image.

A sense of forboding had fallen over her and would not leave though. It almost felt like everyone here was far too confident in their abilities. This wasn’t some backwater hillbilly planet, worshiping a portal in the sky and tending to their farms in peace. This was the borg. Sure, others had miraculously found ways to combat them in the past, but they were exceptional individuals, of strength far beyond what they possessed. On top of that; the borg adapt. What worked once in some irresponsible Captain’s ship logs isn’t going to work here, now.

She tried not to betray the grimness of the situation on her face, and hoped that those who were here understood the gravity of the situation.

Reply #103
[ Lt JG, Salem Martin  | CMO's Office | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy  ]
[Show/Hide]

So they were planning to take an away mission to follow the Borg, that seemed like an idea to be sure. It didn't seem like a good idea. The Cayuga had barely survived the first encounter with them, and hunting them with a former drone at the head of the operation was pretty much a way to get assimilated.

So everyone knew that this could very easily be a one way trip. There had been a few missions where he had been on one way trips in his life, and he had always gotten back to them.

He went over things in his head, when it came to the Borg. If he was going to be honest approaching a cube in a shuttle was pretty low risk. The borg focused on technology first, and if the Aerowing didn't have anything of value aboard it than they would get scanned, and then passed over.

He nodded as he was selected as a second officer for the mission. His main concern then would be the members of the Theurgy crew. it felt odd working with people who were noted criminals.

We worked with the Mauis we can work with these people.

"I will have a list of recommended weapon load outs for you before we head off. I do want to ask for one thing in particular up front. The Cayuga has one Tri-cobalt laced torpedo which I oversaw the installation of, I'd like to request it's transfer to the Aerowing. If nothing else it would provide a big enough boom to maybe slow down the cube as we make a run." He had no illusion that even his largest torpedo would do little to stop the collective or destroy the cube. The things were self repairing, but according to information from both the Voyager, and the Enterprise D the cubes slowed down significantly when they were forced into a state of self repair. It could then give them a speed advantage when it was needed most.

Reply #104
[Lt. Cmdr. Natalie Stark, Captain | Sickbay| Vector 03 | USS Theurgy 01 ]Attn: @lisavw @Arista @Auctor Lucan @Griff @Masorin @Triton @Multificionado 
[Show/Hide]

As she was prone to do when in command (in so far as she had experience, which still seemed to be a smattering of days that could likely be counted on one hand) she listened to those around her, intently, before speaking up herself. For the most part, that was allowing Cpt. Ziegler to issue orders to her crew in the regards to the disbursement of personnel to be assigned to the scouting mission that Lt. Masuda had laid out in conjunction with Junior Lt. Martin. Mentally the Ops Chief and current CO of the Stallion reviewed what she knew of the names Anya had listed off, not to contradict the only captain by rank on the ship at the moment, but to work her way through her own crew, as to who should be assigned.

Satisfied, she looked around the room, and managed a wry smile. 'As noted, Masuda Yukimura from the Theurgy will be in command of the mission. Additionally," she looked over at the Brunali former Borg that seemed to be bounding with barely restrained energy, to the ire of her own XO, "Ensign Six is our most logical choice for assignment on this mission.

"I think - and this isn't meant as a slight to your pilot, Captain," Natalie continued with the caveat. "I think having a second flight controller on hand will be worthwhile. This mission could take days, and I want people to rest up as able. As such I'll be assigning PO3 Lillee t'Jellaieu to the mission as well." She saw a nod of approval from a few faces in the room, and made a note to inform the blonde Romulan woman of her new assignment. She hoped the blonde would volunteer when given the prospect of the mission but Natalie was well aware she may have to issue the order all the same.

"I'm also assigning Ens. James Mariner," she glanced out of the room, to where Dr. Franklin puttered about the medical bay. "He's been cleared for duty again and given his more recent performance against the Asurain's, I'd like him accompanying you all." She stood up a bit straighter and clasped her hands behind her back, pausing to meet everyone's gaze, building upon the weight and sense of responsibility Cpt. Ziegler had lain on the shoulders of those gathered here.

"Snap to it, ladies and gentlemen. Time is of the essence. Every moment we linger here, your target gets further away. Good luck and Godspeed."

OOC: if anyone has questions for Nat, please feel free to linger back after the dismissal and ask.
@Griff @Triton assume Natalie Reached out to Lillee and Jimmy off screen

Reply #105
[Ensign Six | Sickbay | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy ] Attn: @Auctor Lucan @Brutus @FollowTomorrow @Triton @Triage @Masorin
[Show/Hide]

Six couldn’t help but smile at Commander Stark. She felt a rush of gratitude. Then again, she felt she was likely assigned to the mission anyway. And she felt the cold stare from Lieutenant Ejek. She understood why she made that stare, the ominous declaration the she could hear the call of the Collective for plenty of people to hear. She never mentioned the nightmares; that was between her and Ejek.

As her fellow officers departed, Six approached Stark.

“Commander Stark…I hope I haven’t put people off, let along creeped them out, for saying I can hear the Collective,” she said. “Especially if it’s you and Lieutenant Ejek. If that’s the case, I apologize. It’s just that Lieutenant Ejek and I…We had…words, but what we discussed was between us. It’s only up to her to bring up what has transpired.

“I also apologize for my absence up until now,” she continued. “I presumed I wasn’t needed for the time being; I had been busy setting up my forensics lab.”

She chose her words carefully about her counseling session with Lieutenant Ejek. She wasn’t about to give away everything, out of respect to the Cardassian, especially in light of her recent body language; she hides her feelings well in her face, but from Ejek’s body language, she can detect the grimness of the situation. She can see the gravity of the situation; in this case, the gravity was as heavy as a gas giant’s.

Not only that, she felt the need to explain her absence.

“I trust your judgement, Commander, as my current superior. And I also applaud your endeavor to help your old superior as well,” she added, making a nod of respect at Captain Zeigler.

“What can I possibly do to not put people off? Especially with the people I have to guide on the mission, the people I’m working with on the Allegiant?”

It may have been a question for Ejek, but Six felt the need to address this to Commander Stark. Despite being an adult, Six was still young, and can still feel the tendencies and insecurities of youth, her skills notwithstanding. She felt these insecurities herself when people were irked by just being a former drone. However, Seven of Nine always relied on Kathryn Janeway, so Six will rely on her current superior officer, and she had a feeling Commander Stark was not as critical and sharp as Lieutenant Ejek, but a strong and firm commander.

Reply #106
[ Acting XO Lieutenant Zelosa Ejek | CMO's Office | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy] @CanadianVet @Multificionado

To hear Jimmy’s name again, being assigned to this mission...It filled her with dread. Specifically, a feeling of ‘oh god, not again, please.’ She’d already done everything she could to knock sense into the man, and it didn’t work. If anything, it forced them into a division. The best she could do is get away from this problem. Focus on the now. But Jimmy…

No, but Six. Six was apparently still very eager. Like a child, she thought for the second time. This was all a game to her. All she worried about right now was what other people thought of her. Not the fact that she would likely lose her life, or worse, rejoin the borg. She’d thought that as a former Borg herself, she would understand the seriousness of the situation. Apparently not.

This was a question for Stark. Though she had the knowledge to answer this question appropriately, the entire game right now was all about offering Stark as much support as she could. She offered her a side glance, to see whether or not she would answer Six or if the counselor would do this.

Natalie nodded her to go on. Likely, she saw that Ejek had something to say on the matter.

“I will say this; you cannot continue to think of this like a child on a grand adventure. You, more than your peers, face great danger here. Despite the great advances made in Federation medicine to reverse Borg assimilation, it is still exceedingly easy for the Borg to overwhelm your own natural defenses. They do not even have to be present on the ship to turn you.

Take your position seriously. Take your team and your mission seriously. You cannot force them to change their minds, but they will find it easier to trust you if you do not willingly run head-first where angels fear to tread.”

Her voice was stern, her eyes were sharp and accusative. She was acutely aware that Six’s attitude could cost everyone on the mission their lives, and she dearly hoped she would understand.

Reply #107
[ Lieutenant Masuda Yukimura | CMO's Office | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy ]
[Show/Hide]
Stoically, Yukimura listened to the higher ranking officers in the CMO office as they made their decision regarding his and Martin's proposal, with Six as their reference when they formulated the plan. Bold as it was, the great necessity of getting one step ahead of the Borg was far more important than the minimal aid they could provide in the repairs of the Cayuga and Stallion both. All in all, as little as he knew about some of the officers added to the endeavour, Yukimura was confident they would have adequate manpower for the scouting mission.

"Thank you for the faith in this proposal. If you excuse Mister Martin and I, we will brief the chosen officers and make preparations. Given the need to finish the last repairs of the Allegiant, the launch will be scheduled for 0800 hrs." Yukimura inclined his head to the present officers. "By your leave, Captain Stark."

He did not know Ziegler, but he did know that she was not his Commanding Officer, regardless which Sickbay she happened to sit in. Turning around, he spared a glance towards Lieutenant T'Panu, who would be joining them on the mission, inclining his head to her in parting, but having every intention to speak with her once she was finished with her current tasks in the Stallion's sickbay.

After they made to leave, Yukimura waited his turn to file out the door, Martin leaving ahead of him, but before the sliding doors closed, he overheard how Six expressed a personal concern, which his current First Officer answered with great candour. Yukimura approved, for he had personal history with the Borg, and as much as Six was an asset for the mission, his past losses made him somewhat biased towards the forensic officer from Starbase 84. Lieutenant Ejek did bring forth an aspect of the mission parameters that had yet to be addressed, and that was the reliability of Ensign Six if they were to have direct contact with the Borg, or if the Collective managed to usurp the mind of the Brunali ex-Drone.

Ensign Six has been made perfectly aware that the crew on the Allegiant would have to take every precaution to prevent her from undermining the mission in such a scenario, and she would know - perhaps better than any of us - how we might have to use extreme or lethal measures to do so. That was what he'd written in his personal log, and it was a long-winded way of saying that if she showed any sign of returning to the Collective...

...they would have to kill her.

- FIN

Simple Audio Video Embedder