Skip to main content
Topic: Day 02 [1300 hrs.] Meticulously Microscopic (Read 3657 times) previous topic - next topic

Day 02 [1300 hrs.] Meticulously Microscopic

STARDATE 57561.46
MARCH 12, 2381

[ Lt. Tyreke Okafor | Xenobiology and Cybernetics Lab | Deck 17 | USS Theurgy ] @Numen
[Show/Hide]

Okafor set down the PADD in his hand. Before him sat a grail of opportunities, one of the last remaining samples of Borg nanoprobes on board. This creation of one of Thea’s new arrivals… it was something Okafor had never seen before. Sure he had heard of nanoprobes being modified on the Voyager, but he had never seen anything like this.

He sighed and leaned back in his chair. It had been a few days since the near-miss with the Borg, and at long last there was a time of reprieve for the crew. After catching up on sleep, Okafor had been working on various projects he had been meaning to get to. Some new projects as well. For instance, these nanites. This creation of Izar Bila’s was a countermeasure against the Borg but the possibilities right here were many. But this was the technology that Okafor was still unfamiliar with, Borg technology, advanced nanocircuitry and metallic actuators designed to alter and stimulate changes in biology, even craft new mechanical implants if need be.

These nanoprobes in particular seemed designed to activate biological properties which suppressed further nanite invasions, but the problem was degradation of the nanoprobes. That is, until a solution appeared in the form of the Reman who recently joined the ship. Okafor stood and stretched. He knew a bit about nanotechnology but even cutting edge designs were nowhere near as complex as the Borg. Well- some were, but after they had created their own singularity and gone rogue. With these he may be able to improve prosthetics, even synthesize and grow new ones.

Okafor stood in contemplation for a bit. For this he may need to recruit some help, and he knew just the person to call on. Who else would know about this better than the person to actually create them?

He tapped his combadge. “Okafor to Lieutenant Bila, if you have the time I would like to meet in the xeno bio and cybernetics lab to discuss something.”

Perhaps through this meeting they could together break into new technologies. The possibilities before them were piqued his imagination to be sure.

Re: SD 57561.46 Meticulously Microscopic

Reply #1

[ Lt. JG Izar Bila | Chemistry Lab | Deck 17 | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy]
[Show/Hide]

Bila was alone in the chemistry lab, sat in front of his console without really looking at the screen. On his right, over the table, there were 8 Padds neatly stacked, containing the investigations he had carried out since he joined the Theurgy crew against his will. However, his mind hadn't been focused on reviewing his work so far, instead wandering through his last conversation with the counsellor. When it wasn't gloating in the darker aspects of what they had talked about in the session, his mind went back to the previous day and the visit he had made to Lorad in the sickbay. Guilt had consumed him when he saw the pitiful condition of the reman after his treatment. Just remembering it made him rub the lower part of his orbital ridge, thoughtful.

After pondering for a long time on the future of the survivors of the treatment, the hybrid sighed, and moved his hand to another part of his face, scratching the scaleless angle of his jaw. He had shaved barely six hours ago, but he was sure that a beard shadow had already darkened his mandible, hiding again his features, more cardassian than bajoran. At least the sandpaper texture of his skin suggested that. The speed with which such uncardassian hair grew was alarmingly quick, so much so that Bila normally didn't bother to try to tame the scarce stubble that normally adorned his jaw. Although he had never managed to grow a full beard, the stubborn hair insisted on growing fast. It was a recessive trait inherited from some ancestor of his maternal bloodline, and Bila had long since decided that fighting against biology was pointless. And that was exactly what he had done with the ORE. He had tried to fight an impossible enemy and the result had been... inconsistent in the best of cases. Had he tried to play at being a God and this was the Prophets' reaction to it? Perhaps he had only been the instrument of their will, at a great cost? The chemist wasn't sure, but he couldn't stop thinking about it. 

Bila sighed again and turned off the screen. He couldn't concentrate on his work this way, and perhaps he should consider the morning lost and try to resume work after a light meal. With some luck he could lure Ravon into having lunch with him... or perhaps Kyth. Thinking about the betazoid gave him a new measure of guilt, so the hybrid quickly decided that he would eat with Ravon or alone in the officers' lounge.  Just as he was about to summon the pilot, his combadge chirped, and Okafor's deep voice requested that he present himself in his lab. The chemist hesitated briefly before he replied. He had met the human only once, at the science department meeting, prior of the Battle of the Appertures. The little he had interacted with the dark-skinned man had been well-mannered and polite, specific in what he had to offer and what he needed. At this moment of inner turmoil perhaps it was what exactly what he needed. A keen and disciplined mind to share ideas with. A peer to help him focus his head on science, not on the moral ramifications of his actions. Facts and numbers.

"Lieutenant Izar to Lieutenant Okafor" answered to the human, correcting the way he had referred to him. It was a common mistake. His grayish skin was no indication that his name and surname were bajoran, so most humans used his first name instead of his surname... or vice versa. "On my way" he concisely answered as he picked up his personal padd. In spite of all his doubts, he was curious about why the biologist was summoning him. And if anything had always characterized Izar, it was his curiosity.

Lt. JG Izar Bila | Xenobiology and Cybernetics Lab Lab | Deck 17 | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy]

Just a few minutes later, Okafor's lab door hissed, shut behind his back.  The labs were closer to each other than he expected, both in the same section of the same deck, so it had been a rather short stroll. After barely two steps inside the room, the hybrid froze, looking around the room. He remembered those facilities vividly. Although they changed quite a bit without the green blood staining the containment cell... and without a hybrid reman yelling angrily every few minutes.

"Lieutenant"  greeted with a slight bow, which made his earring tingle. " Is there anything I can help you with?" he asked in a solicitous tone.

Reply #2
[ Lt. Tyreke Okafor | Xeno & Cyber Lab | Deck 17 | USS Theurgy ]
[Show/Hide]

In retrospect Okafor could have simply found Bil- Izar himself, but hindsight always had retinax as many people said. In the short time it took for Izar to look around the lab, Okafor quietly reflected on what had happened in the room not too long ago. Perhaps one of the reasons why it was hard to work in there was because it was a house of horrors not too long ago. This rumination was swiftly interrupted by Izar’s entrance to the room.

Izar bowed and greeted Okafor, and inquired if there was something that he could help Okafor with. ”Yes there is, I have been going over the vaccine of modified Borg nanoprobes.” Okafor motioned towards the desk with one of the few remaining samples of microscopic machines. “I haven’t touched the sample itself as I didn’t want to risk harming it, so do not worry. I did want to know how you managed to modify these though. The circuitry and processors within them are smaller than a human blood cell and yet they are remarkably advanced, capable of adapting to new situations and biology. I am ah-”

His hands darted amongst the PADDs on his workspace. “Ah, here we go.” Okafor held up one of the PADDs showing a nanite schematic of some kind. It was circular, with precision tools and internal capacitors and a curious internal structure. Some kind of protein computing was labeled, within a synthetic nucleus and with fibrous optilithic trails leading towards other parts of the machine. It held strange power sources designed to process glucose and organic molecules, and had many other internal parts which seemed a bit too optimistic. “This is what I have been working on for many years, an artificial cell, designed to act as a microscopic cytoconstructor for artificial limbs and biosynthetics. A machine that can act like living tissue.”

Okafor placed the PADD back on the table. “Forgive me, I get very into my work. But that is why I asked to see you, because you were able to alter the Borg nanomachines, and I realized that this could be the key.” A thought struck him. “Well… As long as it doesn’t create neural implants…”

Reply #3
[ Lt. JG Izar Bila | Xenobiology and Cybernetics Lab Lab | Deck 17 | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy]
[Show/Hide]
Att: @Hastata-Nerada

"Oh well, I'm afraid that maybe you'll be slightly disappointed with my reply sir" the hybrid said with a slight smile on his face. "And please don't apologize for being an enthusiast of your work. After all, I think this Starfleet department is all about being over-enthusiastic about their studies.... I guess that's the way we science geeks are." He joked as he shrugged.  Then he took a moment to grab a chair and sit in front of the dark-skinned man. Immediately afterwards, he took the Padd he was offered and skimmed through the text. It was a meticulous investigation with an incredible level of detail, far superior to what he had done with the vaccine. In fact, from the little he could read, there was part of the research that he understood only tangentially, and that he would have to study carefully to fully understand it. After all, his comprehension of cybernetics was more likely to focus on reducing it to the most basic functions in order to develop materials that would improve the processes that others had designed, not to design the processes that the machines would execute themselves. His work with nanoprobes had been an exceptional circumstance, born out of circumstances and necessity.

Putting the padd on his lap aside for the moment, Bila raised his eyes to the Lieutenant. "This only only confirms that my vaccine was a rough solution compared to this, I congratulate you for this, sir" the chemist praised, before sliding his own padd over the crowded table surface of the desk, so that Okafor could study the details of his own work. "I used Voyager's EMH work and Dr. T'Panu's knowledge to develop the vaccine," he began to explain. "At that time I had a virtually endless source of nanoprobes, in the form of Ensign Six, which voluntarily chose to participate in its development as a... donor so to speak." The chemist wasn't too thrilled to confess that, at the time, he hadn't seen the former drone as a peer, but as a sample maker. He just wished Okafor didn't realize his bias towards the deceased Six. He couldn't deny that he wasn't impartial toward the Borg. After all, they were the fuel that nourished his nightmares.

"Following the instructions of what they had done on the Voyager, it basically reduplicates most of the nanoprobes' functions overwritting much of their programming so that only two active features remained: reproduce using polysaccharides present in the patient's blood and synthesize a neural supressant that would keep unmodified nanoprobes under control. The problem is that, with this system, the neural supressant itself also affected the vaccine nanoprobes, degrading them until they were destroyed and neutralizing them after a few hours, since by overscripting the code they lost their regeneration capacities and... well, basically almost everything they can do. Likewise, after a while the patient's energy reserves shrank to the point at which the patient could suffer an hypoglycaemia. Although well, I suppose between the prospect of being assimilated or fainting on the way to sickbay to be treated with the ORE, the second option is somewhat more attractive." he said with an apologetic smile. "After all, for me the vaccine was a palliative, and my research focused mainly on the development of the Omicron Radiation Emitter. I made it work...  more or less." He explained, before became silent, his face suddenly pale greyish.

Re: Day 02 [1300 hrs.] Meticulously Microscopic

Reply #4
[ Lt. Tyreke Okafor | Xenobiology & Cybernetics Labs | Deck 17 | USS Theurgy ] @Numen
[Show/Hide]

Okafor was disappointed, though this was not exactly unexpected. Not to mention, their only reliable source of nanoprobes was now deceased, a casualty of the battle against the very force that she fought to free herself of. They now had only these samples to utilize, a precious commodity which they could not afford to waste. Okafor had never gotten to know Six, and he truthfully wasn;t sure how to feel about such a thing. Six was liberated from the collective and expressed zero desire to return, but what if she wasn’t as liberated as they thought? Okafor pushed the thought out of his mind, pure paranoia was all it was. Six was an individual soul just like him and everyone else aboard the Theurgy. Even Thea could be said to have a soul, despite being a starship.

Furthermore, there was this problem of the nanoprobes being their own Achilles heel, something which seemed to be highly problematic in the long run, to say nothing of the strain on a patient’s energy and glucose reserves. Even without overscripting the nanoprobes, regeneration would not have solved their decay, as the very serum they produced would destroy them just as well. Hypoglycaemia was an acceptable risk, admittedly. It was not that difficult of a problem to address and it did handily dodge a far worse fate.

Okafor scratched his chin as he considered all of this. “Hmm.” he muttered, in deep thought. “Omicron radiation can be dangerous to organic lifeforms, but it is not too difficult to inoculate someone against it. This method of yours to overwrite their programming, do you know how to get them to replicate independently when given materials?”

No, there was more to it that he wanted to know than that. “Actually a better question is this: are you familiar with their internal components? Do you know how they are made, how they replicate?”

Reply #5

[ Lt. JG Izar Bila | Xenobiology and Cybernetics Lab Lab | Deck 17 | Vector 03 | USS Theurgy]
[Show/Hide]

There was no need to be a face reader to see that Okafor was disappointed with his reply. Although Bila knew it was the most likely reaction, he couldn't help but feel worthless. Lesser. So while the dark-skinned human was thoughtfully scratching his chin, he grinned, a reassuring expression more directed at himself than at the man sitting across the table. Luckily, the Xenobiologist soon posed a series of questions. Specific, factual. Something with which he could help and stop feeling the light weight of his deficiency.

"Certainly, there are methods to alleviate the effect of Omicron Radiation, but given the speed with which I had to develop the ORE and the vaccine, I had no time to synthesize it. Not at least for the large doses necessary for the cure to be effective," he confessed, another flaw in the entire process that the human had easily detected. Bila had to remind himself of the hellish situation he had been in when he had to treat those affected by assimilation. The crew quickly transformed into drones. The swift calculations to treat each of the different physiologies, without killing them or making them suffer unnecessarily. That's apart from his barely patched concussion at the time. The ghost of Ekon's death flew over his memory and, in spite of all his efforts, a chill ran through him from top to bottom, while the guilt curled up again in his stomach. Never again.

"I had to prioritize, as I was the only one on the team working on both ORE and vaccines. I had help from Dr. T'Panu with the second and from Okotie-Eboh with the first. Dr. Parnak helped me to refine the formula for radiation doses in hybrids and species not common in the Federation. " He explained. It hadn't been an easy task. He had condensed weeks of work into just a few days, out of sheer will, stolen hours to sleep and making tricky shortcuts.  It wasn't his finest work by far, but it had worked. It had worked despite the lack of time, insufficient staff and the constant threat of the Borg. "I had to choose a raw solution or palliate the radiation, with the risk that, if it concealed the negative impact of omicron on patients, the effects on nanoprobes would be hidden too, providing fake healings, or radiating to patients to the point of killing them. It wasn't a straightforward scenario, sir, there were no miracle solutions or Prophets' interventions. What I did saved lives. No matter how rustic it was in your eyes. But it wasn't enough and many other lifes were lost, and those ones will stay in my conscience until it is my time to meet my ancestors in the Celestial Temple" the half-bajoran defended himself passionately. Guilt for Ekon's death, for not having been able to do more still lingered in his core. Painful and piercing.

Izar averted his gaze and brought a hand to the d'ja pagh that adorned his right ear ridges. The humble jewel tinkled at touch, a soft and musical sound. When the chime went out, Bila dropped his hand in his lap and looked Okafor again in the eyes, his grayish face gloomy and taciturn. "I'm sorry, lieutenant, It was a desperate situation, I wish I had done a more refined job but lacked the basic conditions to do so. That still is eating me from the inside," he tried to explain. Bila barely knew the human, but from what he knew he was a reasonable man. And he had been in the madness of the Battle of the Apertures, and possibly knew the debacle that had been the Sickbay after the fight, with that pile of wounded, assimilated and survivors of Versant.

"As for your questions. I didn't find exactly which line of code governed the self-replication of nanoprobes, but I did find how to command them to replicate certain compounds. It is encoded at the molecular level in the proteins with quaternary structures in these sections." He explained by pointing to a diagram in his Padd. "By modifying the direction of rotation of the inner monomers it is possible to encode the synthesized substance".

Reply #6
[ Lt. Tyreke Okafor | Xenobiology and Cybernetics Lab | Deck 17 | USS Theurgy ] @Numen
[Show/Hide]

Okafor’s expression turned somewhat quizzical as he heard Bila respond. He seemed almost defensive, but Okafor reflected that this was likely reasonable given what happened. His face softened into one of concern as he observed Bila’s mannerisms. The definitions of ‘rustic’ caught Okafor by surprise to be sure, the hybrid (he was fairly certain this was Bila’s species, due to the earring and the features he had seen before on Bajor) defended himself in a way that seemed almost guilt-ridden yet also the necessity of the methods appeared to be within his words. It was something that was abundantly clear from the circumstances alone.

As Bila continued, Okafor’s brow furrowed and his eyebrows knit. Part of him entertained the thought that he might have set off some feelings which were bothering Bila, something he could have recovered from in time. Okafor’s hands folded as he waited patiently for Bila to finish, who luckily clarified some aspects of the nanoprobe’s functions.

“Bil- Izar…” he corrected himself, unsure of how to approach this. “Izar, you are a skilled scientist who was given a nightmarish set of circumstances to work under.” Okafor paused, and considered how best to phrase his next words. Should he address the nanoprobes? They certainly offered an interesting alternative from the synthetic DNA-based computing method which he had been considering. Maybe he could form an amino acid of some kind that acted like a circuit. Distractions, he could think on that later.

“While I very much appreciate this idea of how the nanoprobes function, in fact it may have cracked a solution that I have been looking for, we can celebrate later,” He took a breath. “I can’t stress enough that your work saved lives. You mentioned it, but the situation was a catastrophe, it was something that any of us could have died in, or worse.” Okafor paused, he assembled his next words into a sentence before speaking. “Some people would not have come back from that if it were not for you. And now, those people have a chance to see the future that we have worked for on this ship. A lesser scientist would have accomplished nothing.”

Reply #7

[Show/Hide]

Bila squished his hands as he witnessed how the human's eyebrows lowered over his dark eyes. He expected a sudden backlash, sooner rather than later. However the backlash didn't materialize and, instead, he received a calm and supportive feedback.  It catched him out of the hop.  The last few days had been, indeed, a nightmare. Probably because of that ( And because of guilt, lack of sleep, and all those little external or self-inflicted misfortunes that made his existence even more miserable) he had been on a defensive stance. Okafor's behavior somehow destroyed those defenses he had unconsciously raised around him, which was demonstrated outwardly when he dropped his shoulders and slowly let the air escape between his lips, in a poorly suppressed sigh. A moment later, he closed his eyes and bowed his head, in a display of sincere but wordless gratitude.

It was almost, nearly a perfectly normal situation. As it had been his everyday life before he got trapped in the Theurgy, with its extradimensional parasites, uppity xenobiologists, and so on. "Thanks Lieutenant. I apologize for... for my irrational behavior. These last few days have been... interesting." In spite of himself a little smirk cracked between his beard. "Interesting in the sense of horrific, a nightmare and something I don't want to experience again in the next few weeks, if I can choose." he joked. But the joke was soon forgotten, since there was something in Okafor's previous speech that had caught his attention. "So... have you found a solution to your problem? Can you explain it to me?" he asked, his curiosity more than evident in his voice.

Reply #8
[Show/Hide]

If anything Bila served as an excellent reminder of the kind of harrowing ordeal which the Theurgy and her ever-changing crew were facing. Okafor himself had recently had an awakening in the form of almost dying to… something, orbital bombardment? Either way, the triage center had collapsed. It was a strange feeling, having a piece of debris go through you. Not much pain as it sliced into one’s body, just a dull, wet sensation of ending as a thing punctured your tendons and severed your bones. Okafor silently reflected that he wouldn’t get another chance at life if it happened again.

Bila though… Bila was new to this. Okafor had never had any inclination towards being a father but he almost felt like some instinct was taking hold to protect this man. Perhaps it was silly, who knew. “It is perfectly alright Lieutenant. These are troubling times this ship finds itself in.” he said. Perhaps not as reassuring-sounding as it could have been, he wasn’t sure. “Either way, this time at Aldea should provide some much-needed break for the crew.”

And now for the solution. The solution to true artificial synthesis of life-like devices. Living technology, synthetic biology. “Ah, yes, so,” Okafor began, and held up the PADD with his hypothetical cytoconstructor. “A problem that I have been encountering is… well computing, it is difficult to create computers on a nanoscopic scale, or at least not computers this advanced without making them self-improving and eventually sapient. But a properly self-maintaining system needs a very complex set of instructions built into it, so it knows how to repair itself and purge waste and… yes, you get it. So, it is easy to put those kinds of instructions into an isolinear chip, but transistors get difficult at that level without teaching nanites to become self-determining beings.” He paused to put the PADD back down onto the table.

“So,” Okafor continued. “How does one get a nanite to act as a living being? I thought of trying to base computing off of DNA and RNA and HNA and even SNA like the tholians have, but it is… difficult.” He sighed briefly. “There are so many conditions and codes in genetic material, which can change at the drop of a hat. But- that is where you gave me the idea for encoded monomers.” A grin spread across his face. “Or at least that is what I am calling them. If I can get the internal monomers to react to certain conditions, to get them to dynamically preserve a prosthesis as if it were a real organ- then I have my artificial cells.”

OOC: So HNA and SNA are not actual things, but there are a number of species in the Trek universe with dramatically different biochemistries which are probably decidedly not DNA-based (such as silicon-based life). So I drummed up those terms as examples of what some of those might use for genetic material.

Reply #9

[Show/Hide]

Attn: @Hastata-Nerada

When Okafor addressed him with his heartwarming words, assuring him that their destination, Aldea, would provide them with the shore-leave the crew needed. Faced with such a prospect, Bila couldn't help but smile. He had never been a man given to enjoying free time. Ravon, in fact, had always reproached him for being unable to stop working and that his hobbies and professional performance were so intermingled that he was unable to separate one from the other. However, this time, he was EAGER to have some free time. To be allowed to set foot on a planet and simply enjoy a stroll through an unfamiliar city. Maybe he could lure Kythalie to dinner on the planet instead of in one of the lounges. That would have the added advantage of fewer prying eyes observing what would surely be a shameful performance.

Soon, however, his mind refocused on the present day, when Okafor began to articulate his explanations. Despite being far from an expert in biogenetics, Bila had good notions of organic chemistry, and could understand the difficulties he had been dealing with. His phrase about the need for dynamic responses to current problems motivated him to talk again. "I think, indeed, protein coding can help you," he excitedly declared. "Each protein has a four-level structure. The primary structure is basically a complex molecule, but the secondary has two basic prions in most cases, which allows for computer-type coding. Zeros and ones basically. If you are able to use the rest of the structures to encrypt basic conditionals, you may get relatively complex reactions, without the need for your micro-machine to develop intelligence," he continued, before chuckling briefly. "Prophets are aware that we don't need a Federation version of nanoprobes... and I think I've read a paper about some nanites that gained self-consciousness that makes the need to be cautious with this issues even more pressing."

Without realizing it, Izar had forgotten part of the horror he had experienced, part of the doubts, and the guilt that was eating him from within, thanks to how exciting this conversation was. The hybrid allowed himself to relax for a moment, just to enjoy the peace of a debate with a peer. Somehow, Okafor was just someone nice to interact with, a good colleague.

OOC: about the proteins structure

Reply #10
[ Lt. Tyreke Okafor | Xenobiology & Cybernetics Lab | Deck 17 | USS Theurgy ] @Numen
[Show/Hide]

Four-level proteins, encoded directly into the nanoprobe itself. Borg nanoprobes were generally rather inelegant, but then again they were designed to alter biology, not restore it. No, that was left to a victim’s own body once assimilation took place, rather they restored the implanted machinery and seamlessly integrated it into an organic body. These tiny, microscopic machines were a marvel of engineering, yet they were responsible for so much unfettered horror in the galaxy.

Despite these grim thoughts, Bila’s explanation fascinated Okafor. The answer was so simple, yet devilishly incorporated within the device in such a way that Okafor barely knew what to look for until now. It was frankly ingenious, entire codes and instructions written out on such a simple form at such a miniscule scale. Nanoprobes capable of networking to achieve complex tasks, maintenance, and worst of all, override someone on a physical level. The last purpose was most certainly not needed- all Okafor needed to figure out was how to program instructions for the generation and maintenance of limbs.

Easier said than done.

Regardless, some knowledge of the internal structures was revealed to him so it was a start. “Ah! Yes.” replied Okafor, after Bila mentioned sapient nanites. “I have heard of this occurring. The self-improvement of nanites is a risky business. It creates an intelligent lifeform, but also its own drive is its own doom. As nanites become more complex as they adapt and improve, they may gain networking and awareness, but their replication slows, their material needs increases, until eventually they reach a standstill, wherever that may be.”

Okafor thought for a bit. “I do not think I need to program any self-improving, but the instructions encoded into the ultimate prosthesis nanite will be… complex. Self-repair provisions, waste recycling, division and replication, which nanites go where, and others. I ah… I even have to make sure I get them to safely remove the synthetic version of cancer, if that can be done. Or even beyond that- stop their instructions from mutating irreversibly and forming synthetic tumors.” He grimaced. “Many of the same conditions which harm organics will be a problem.”

Reply #11
[Show/Hide]

Bila heard the brief explanation about sapient nanites. The chemist had barely read a press release in the archive of a scientific journal years ago, so that little insight into the limitations that microscopic machines had supposed for themselves was a fascinating snipped. Without realizing it, the hybrid had leaned forward, attentive to Okafor's words, his eyes sparkling with curiosity.

Bila heard the brief explanation about sapient nanites. The chemist had barely read a press release in the archive of a scientific journal years ago, so that little insight into the limitations that microscopic machines had supposed for themselves was a fascinating snipped. Without realizing it, the hybrid had leaned forward, attentive to Okafor's words, his eyes sparkling with curiosity.

After a few seconds of reflection, the dark-skinned man pondered again on how to incorporate the data and solutions that Bila had explained him. The complexities of organic programming were something that escaped his area of expertise, so he just smiled encouragingly. "I'm sorry I can't help you too much in that aspect, sir, but I can share with you the code that I extracted from Lorad. The romulans inoculated him with a sort of nanite-based vaccine, which allowed him to resist assimilation much longer than my solution. It is coded in their language and its programming differs from the Federation standard to such an extent that I needed to use Samala as a translator to understand enough to be able to... uh,... switch them off. Probably you could use that information with more sucess that I did" he said as he took his padd again and began to scroll through several screens, until he found the document he was looking for. Once this is done, Bila handed the device to Okafor. "Anyway I think you should request the presence of Samala or another native romulan-speaker..." All of a sudden, he remembered the presence of his former chief at the Theurgy and rushed to name her. "Or maybe you could talk with Lt. Vanya. If there's a Romulan programming expert on this starship, it must be her."

Reply #12
[ Lt. Tyreke Okafor | Xenobiology & Cybernetics Labs | Deck 17 | USS Theurgy ] @Numen
[Show/Hide]

Now this was fascinating. Lorad had some kind of nanites in him which staved off the assimilation? This opened up all kinds of new avenues. The future was no longer just synthetic biology limbs and organs, why the very idea of synthetic biology could be taken to a whole new height with the addition of an entire synthetic immune system! It was exhilarating to think about. Still, there was a doubt nagging at the back of Okafor’s head that he couldn;t quite nail down.

Bah, no matter, the idea of an entirely artificial system of nanites running interference on invaders and keeping a body safe- Okafor could feel that his heart rate increased just by thinking about it. Calm, calm, there was still a conversation to have.

“Ah… Samala… I have met her briefly, and she has been somewhat more like a cactus than diplomatic.” But then Bila brought up another possibility, that being Vanya of course.

“Lieutenant Vanya… I have been meaning to speak with her, I can add that to the list. Oh! Say, I have been wondering, do you know anything about her? I have noticed some strange things during the battle and… well it could have been my imagination. Is the lieutenant altered in some way? There was something metallic in her wound, which she… seemed not to notice much.” said Okafor.

He thought for a second. “I do hope that I am not being too nosy, I was just curious. I did not get the opportunity to take readings during the battle, and I’m wondering about that.”

Something occurred to Okafor as well. “Also, a programming expert? I did not expect that from a biologist, that is quite interesting.”

Reply #13

[Show/Hide]

Bila couldn't suppress chuckle when Okafor compared Samala to a cactus. "A cactus? She's more like a synoraptor who has got up with the wrong foot," he remarked, a smile flashing on his face. "If I hadn't been so exhausted and focused on saving her brother I don't think I would have been able to babble two words in a row in her presence... what a temper," he assured as he shook his head. For the hybrid, it was easy to talk to Okafor. Perhaps because of his peaceful disposition or maybe because of his polite and correct modals. Whatever it was, he felt more and more comfortable in his presence. The chemist was internally grateful that Counsellor Ejek had encouraged him to interact more with his Department peers. The therapist's other suggestion floated briefly in Izar's mind and his expression shifted accordingly, a glimpse of a bitter disappointment. Parnak. He still had to swallow all of that. All of HIM. And what the counselor had explained to him about the relationships between Cardassian males too.

Nevertheless, Okafor asked soon about Vanya, which allowed him to evade his mind of such matters. So he hastened to share the information his interlocutor required. "Yeah, I know her well enough, she was my chief for a year aboard the Cayuga," he explained. Then he allowed that the silence thicken between them, as a mischievous smile grew gradually on his recently shaved gray face. The grin of one who knows something that his partner ignored. At last, Bila leaned forward, staring into Okafor's dark eyes. "Of course Lieutenant Vanya has been altered in some way. Besides, I'm certain that you saw something metallic in her injuries. In fact, the reason for all this also explains why she has knowledge of Romulan programming, since her life is on it." he continued in a secretive tone, as if he were telling one of those stories he loved so much. Bila was a gifted storyteller and his voice, rich and melodic, was able to catch the attention of his listeners if he intended to. Finally, just before the Synthetic Biologist asked what this was all about, the bajcardie replied, grinning broadly. That expression wrinkled the bridge his nose a bit, emphasizing even more his Bajoran ridges, in sheer contrast with of the extremely Cardassian expression on his face. "She is an artificial person, an android," he whispered in a conspiratorial manner. "A gynoid"

Reply #14
[Show/Hide]

An android. An android. This was some new insight. Okafor had assumed that Vanya was a romulan, that she was rihannsu, but this revelation that she was an artificial lifeform? It was… words failed to describe. Bila’s tone only served to enhance the jolt that ran through Okafor’s brain. He was certain that his eyes went as wide as eggs in that moment.

“An android? A true artificial lifeform? That’s… new territory, I’ve never met an android before. Well, I nearly did, but I was working overtime on Bajor at the time and missed him.” Okafor finished and then paused and scratched his chin.

“Oh- I am wondering… Do you know much about her systems? The way she works? How she is built? I… hope not to be intrusive, but… well…” Okafor stopped, and fumbled through his mind to pin down the correct words. “Well, I would very much like to know how she… regenerates. I treated some of her wounds during the battle, not as well as a medical professional but- anyway, sorry, what I mean is that if I know how her systems operate it could serve as another breakthrough in my own research.”

Okafor stopped, paused, and then pondered and turned around in circles. “I- I do not want to be selfish or poke where I should not.” He snapped his fingers as he hit upon what he was trying to articulate. “What I mean is that I don’t want to make it seem as if I view her as a piece of hardware. Too many people even in the Federation, even on Earth, hold this antiquated view that the life we construct is no different from my tricorder.”

Okafor glanced around. “Right, I got sidetracked, I hope I am making sense.” he coughed as he realized how he must have sounded to Bila.

Reply #15
[Show/Hide]

After the chemist's revelation, Okafor, which until then had been a restrained and quiet invividual, suddenly proceeded to throw him a bunch of questions and lucubrations as if he were an eager student. The hybrid couldn't help but chuckle softly and let the scientist lose momentum gradually, until finally the man coughed and apologized... more or less. "Don't worry, it's really nice to see a colleague get carried away by his field as much as I do when I start talking about chemicals" he dismished his concerns with a hand wave. It wasn't as theatrical as it would be typical of him, but his attitude gradually returned to his true self.

"As for the Vanya systems, well, I know little about how they operate. I've asked her extensively about the materials that make up her internal structure and her electronic components, but I think my professional bias is very pronounced in this regard, so maybe my knowledge isn't too useful to you," he warned, downplaying the importance of what he knew, though in the end he wanted that it would sting Okafor's curiosity even more. "At a certain point, after an away-mission....no pretty successful,  she requested me to synthesize a series of polyalloys very complexes, mainly duritanium polyalloy and a couple of substances that are controlled in Federation due to their toxicity or the dangerousness of chemical reactions those substances could produce." he explained as he scratched his recently shaved chin. There was some truth in that statement. And part of it that was not. But Bila was unwilling to confirm which was one and which was the other. "In any case, I think ideally you should ask Vanya about those specific details. On the one hand, I think she's the one who knows best how she functions. On the other hand, talking about this kind of thing is like discussing her underwear while we plan to rummage through her dresser drawers," he joked. Either way, it was how he trully felt. Vanya was the person who had to choose what part of her secrets she wanted to share with others. And with whom.

"Back to what you said... did you serve in the Homewolrd? I didn't know that," he confessed. "How was Bajor back then for an alien?" he asked out of curiosity. Bila hadn't read the file of the man sitting in front of him and he knew little about his career. Discovering that he had served on the planet where he had been born was a pleasant surprise.

Reply #16
[ Lt. Tyreke Okafor | Xenobiology and Cybernetics Labs | Deck 17 | USS Theurgy ] @Numen
[Show/Hide]

“Ah.” Okafor felt his cheeks burn. “I see, sorry, I should probably ask her directly.” he said. He had gotten too excited. The prospect of meeting an artificial lifeform was something that got Okafor… carried away. In a sense, they were similar to his goal, only on the scope of an entire being rather than merely parts.

Merely parts… perhaps not the best way to think about what he was creating, given that for individuals like Data and Vanya they were limbs and organs in much the same way an organic heart was for a human. And, Bila did have a point, this may be a very private thing for Vanya as well.

The change in topic was a welcome one when it came. “Bajor was an interesting experience.” he replied, relieved. “I was assigned there three years after the discovery of the wormhole, a few months before aggressive relations with the Klingon Empire broke out thanks to Dominion interference.”

Okafor leaned back and remembered his time on the planet. It was a turbulent time to be sure. “I spent some amount of time on Deep Space 9, but for the most part on Bajor itself. At the time… Bajor was warming up to the Federation’s presence, but there were still people who felt like we were going to be another Cardassian Union. Then the Klingon war, then Dominion War, and then… about a year under the command of Kira Nerys, and then I was reassigned. Bajor is interesting though, it was amazing to see the bajorans so committed to staying bajoran, despite what the Union tried to do to the planet.”

He paused, and considered whether he should ask the question on his mind. “You are… pardon me, but you look like you share bajoran and cardassian heritage, were you born on Bajor?”

Reply #17
[Show/Hide]

The hybrid observed how Okafor's dark cheeks acquired a more reddish tone, a perfect sample of his discomfort due to his own vehemence. Bila couldn't help but smile out of pure empathy, even though it was he who had brought the blush to the other scientist's face. After all, he had been dragged along by the same kind of enthusiasm so many times, and the synthetic biologist in front of him was nothing more than a reflection of how he had behaved so many times.

Fortunately, Okafor embraced the change of theme he had tossed as a shipwreck would accept a floating wreck and cling to it. The revelation that the other scientist had served on Bajor during that uncertain period between Bajor Independence and the Dominion War was an intriguing disclosure and Izar leaned forward as the older man spoke, so that he could pay close attention. It was only when he had finished speaking that he rested his shoulders on the back of his chair again, in a relaxed and conversational attitude.

" Yeah, we Bajorans are well known for being especially pigheaded... even despite what 'the Union tried to do with the planet'" Bila stated with a chuckle, echoing Okafor's words as he shook his head.  "And effectively I' m a bajoran-cardassian mongrel, if the grey skin and the nose ridges don't betray enough about my lineage." He joked without taking offense at Okafor's words. He used the derogatory term that it was accustomed in the outpost to refer to hybrids of both species, without considering the real meaning of the word. "I was indeed born in a Cardassian outpost near Adarak, in Kendra province. I spent my first years a in that militar settlement, in the north of the valley, I guess at this point there wouldn't remain of it nothing but the foundations," he remarked with some nostalgia in his voice. "Truth is that it has been years since I stepped on the surface of Bajor, I travel to the surface in my leaves several times while I served on the Thunderchild, but I kept myself mostly around Deep Space Nine and some sacred locations on the planet. I think the closest I came to Adarak since i left in my chilhood was at Dakeen Monastery, after I converted," he explained as he stroked his bare chin. "Things had changed a great deal since we... 'flee' to Federation, and it was... hard for me to go back to the places I knew well."

OOC
Away from my computer and without a mouse, so formating will be made later.

Reply #18
[ Lt. Tyreke Okafor |Xenobiology and Cybernetics Lab | Deck 17 | USS Theurgy ] @Numen
[Show/Hide]

Okafor listened intently as Bila relayed the tale of his life on Bajor. When Okafor had come to the planet himself, it still bore numerous wounds from the brutal cardassian occupation. Surface gouges from strip-mines and prospect expeditions, poisoned earth from industry and replication byproducts, and mass graves from cardassian soldiers burning entire villages to the ground. He heard it was doing somewhat better now, despite the damage to the Federation’s economy that the Dominion War inflicted. Bajor’s history threw back thousands of years, possibly before humans on Earth had even begun to sharpen stones and light fires in ancient Africa, and perhaps that long-ingrained identity was responsible for the astounding resilience of the bajoran people after occupation by the cardassians’ empire.

This story was telling of Bila, and Okafor wondered what life had been like for him. Might not have been very good, being a person trapped between two worlds. Okafor had been born on Earth, a planet with no hunger, sickness, poverty, or crime. A planet where everyone can go to sleep with their bellies full, content that tomorrow will be just another day. Whereas, by the sound of things, Bila had been born on a world stricken by hunger and oppression, born of the union between the systems which plagued that planet at the time. Raised in a cardassian military base, and eventually converting to the faith of the prophets of Bajor. Okafor’s first visit to Bajor had been an eye-opening one, in stark contrast to his birthworld.

“Yes, I imagine things have changed quite a bit there. Maybe in some years, Bajor can rival Earth in its prosperity. But ah… I speak from the view of someone who was more fortunate I guess.” Okafor replied, as his feet shifted slightly and he glanced around a bit. After a few seconds his eyes refocused.

“I hope you do not mind me asking,” He began, as he kept his eyes level with Bila. “You said you ‘fled’ to the Federation, and converted? What ah- what caused these things? I apologize if these are intrusive questions, I am simply curious.”

Reply #19
[Show/Hide]

For a minute, Bila lost the conversation line, strayed into his own memories. The treatment Ejek had prescribed was restoring parts of his memory. Small things, without context. One afternoon under the sun as he observed how the soldiers trained. The taste of Ikri bun. The smell of gelat in the morning. These were unimportant details, but they were a part of him that he had forgotten, and the chemist treasured them as something genuinely valuable, not sharing them with anyone.

When he finally realized how he had zoned out, Bila shook his head a bit, as his cheeks dyed in a soft shade of brown. The biologist was inquiring about his past. What made him flee to the Federation and about his conversion.  It was simpler to explain the second fact than to explain the first, so the hybrid chose to answer that first. "Well, I was never a believer. Acts of blind faith never were my cup of tea, not even as a child. Asking why and how was easier for me than simply accepting the concept of divinity. You can imagine that my mother wasn't too happy that during my years at the Academy I called the Prophets 'the wormhole aliens'. I still don't understand why she didn't change my name to 'Heretic'. You can understand me, we are both men of science." the chemist laughed. However, it was difficult for Bila to pronounce the words with which he had previously designated the Celestial Temple and its inhabitants. "In any case, I was serving in the Thunderchild during the Operation Return, in the Dominion War. I... was witness of how 2800 Dominion ships simply disappeared. By the Will of the Prophets. I sought for a long time for an explanation for this but I found no such explanation except that my mother's people were right: the Prophets ARE deities. And They care for Bajor and the Bajoran people, though many times we are unable to understand their paths". Bila knew the criticisms that Okafor was going to raise and stretched out both hands in front of him, begging the other man to wait until he finished his speech. "I know what you are going to say 'any formidably advanced technology can be mistaken with magic until you understand the science behind it' or 'the Prophets are non-corporeal extra-dimensional entities that resided in the only stable wormhole known to exist and therefore their technology and capabilities and even their conception of time differ so much from ours that they can be mistaken for divine capabilities'. I know all this, I've heard those arguments before. I myself have said similar things in the past. But after that, after the Emmisary, and that so many visions of the Orb have been fulfilled, after the event of the Prophets during the War... I know that for many people it is hard to accept that a deity is real, because the deities of their own homeworlds are mere constructs, primitive inventions to explain natural phenomena, or more advanced creatures that have come into contact with them. But the deities of my people actually exist. And they care about Bajor. I had the evidence of this, and before that, I just had to embrace the faith of my forefathers.... or my foremothers" He added with a soft chuckle, as he carried his hand to the earring that adorned his mostly Cardassian ear. When he brushed the ornament, the chain jingled gently, a musical and pleasant sound.

"As for why we fled to the Federation... well, at a certain point we had to leave the outpost, I don't remember why. Then I was very sick, and I keep being very sick a long time later," he explained unable to prevent that his expression turned slightly bitter. "We were sheltering in Relliketh refugee camp, but... well..."  Bila's voice faded for a moment, as he struggled to find the right words. "Now it may be hard to understand all this, but.... but Prophets, I can't hide what I am. Back then a bajoran woman with a son like me... Well, she was allways regarded as a collaborationist. It didn't matter if that was the case or not, there were always some suspicions. An unconscious ostracism. And in the end, resources were scarce, the camp was barely able to keep all its inhabitants on the edge of survival, so what little could be obtained was employed on... Well, on BAJORAN children and on people who are not suspected of work with Cardassians. Besides, I was so ill and famished that I was not going to survive anyway..." Bila ran his hand along the nape of his neck, disheveling the tight bun with which he held his hair in place. The locks that loosened were wavy and light, quite different from the smooth and thick classic Cardassian hair. "It's difficult to explain certain decisions within the comfort of a starship, one step away from a replicator. There are some decisions that can only be understood when your life and the lives of those you love are in danger. I... don't blame them. Maybe in their place, my mother would have done the same."  Bila sighed. "In any case, I think you can figure out why we ran away to the Federation. We weren't looking for a better future. We were just looking for A FUTURE."

Reply #20
[Show/Hide]

Okafor had never really been a religious man. A fascination of the mechanics of life and the universe had fascinated him his entire life, so much so that he made his life’s work the melding of man’s creations with nature’s. When it came down to the basics, the mechanics of life were such a simple thing, yet infinitely complex. A disciplined mind could, over time, reveal the secrets of the entire universe. And yet… that wasn’t quite right, was it.

It was easy to say “wormhole aliens”, and “perspective in nonlinear time”, except it was easy to say that if you ignored the fact that it was near-impossible if not completely impossible to actually tell what these were. What were they? How? What were concepts such as ours to beings who defied time, causality, and could alter reality through their vessels. When with a thought they could erase an entire Dominion invasion fleet of battlecruisers and attack fighter ships… When they could bend time to witness events to come, when they could open a door to other worlds… When a world received undeniable proof that their gods were real it left an impression.

Okafor had never been a religious man. But there were times he wondered whether he was right in that idea.

“Bila when you speak of the prophets to me, don’t discount your faith. I am a man of science, but I admit I… I have seen things done by Their hands which I honestly cannot explain. My home country, on Earth…” Okafor sighed. “My home where I was born was once the kingdom of Oyo, of the Yoruba people. Like the other Yoruba they had Olorun and the orishas as their… deities is the closest word I can find? It is a bit more complex than that, there isn't an exact matching of terms, but I am getting distracted.”

He paused and leaned back to collect his thoughts. “But then the conquerors came, and then more, and they had a new god, with a capital G. It has been a long time since then, and now my home country is called Benin and we have many different gods. As far as I can tell, none of them are real. No god I have ever seen has been real, from what I can tell. Well... who knows, in the case of the klingon gods. After all they killed theirs.”

Okafor paced in a small circle for a few seconds before turning back. “But then there are yours. And that is something I cannot explain even with Clarke’s third law. Sure, anything advanced enough can seem like magic, in fact- read up on an interesting encounter with Ardra of Ventax, it is a good example. But the Prophets… they exist outside of time, outside of space, they can create beasts made of nothing using the shards of their orbs, they can gift prophecy, and… I do not know, Izar. I am a man of science but I don’t have any other answer.”

And then his tone quieted. “And… I'm sorry to hear that you went through that.” Okafor sighed. “I… I don’t know what else to say, really. I- it is hard to-” remember what it’s like for some planets when you were born on paradise, is what he almost said. Instead he just sighed and replied,

“I’m sorry, Izar. I truly am.” and reached a reassuring hand out to Bila’s shoulder.

Reply #21

[Show/Hide]

Bila was so used to have to justify his beliefs to his fellow scientists that Okafor's statement that the dark-skinned man would not argue his faith in the Prophets that he was caught totally off guard. Disbelief, awareness and gratefulness appeared in quick succession on his face. After that, the hybrid gazed at the human with renewed regard. It seemed that his stay at his Homeworld, on Bajor, had left a deep impression on Okafor and had brought him closer to his mother's people than he had originally realized. The chemist listened attentively to the story he told about the origin of his own people, about nations and countries that Bila didn't know that even had existed. A story that, in a certain manner, resonated with certain aspects of what the people of Bajor had experienced. After a number of digressions which only left the chemist wanting to know more about these subjects, Okafor confirmed that even he, a declared atheist, was unable to explain the existence of the Prophets and that it made him reconsider his lack of faith. "During your time on Bajor, did you not have the chance to peer into a Tear of the Prophets?" he suddenly asked, without pondering over his own words.  Sometimes some Vedeks and Ranjens were reluctant to allow offworlders to experiment with the Orbs. Moreover, not everyone who stared into an orb received a Vision, and even if they did, the tradition was to not share that experience in detail with others, as it was an intimate conversation with the Prophets Themselves. Even so, before he realized it, Bila kept speaking. "I had the privilege of contemplate The Orb of Prophecy and Change shortly after Operation Return. What I was allowed to behold there..." For a moment, Izar lost his words. There were rare occasions when the hybrid chatterbox was unable to word his mind. His best friend, Ravon, always had the suspicion that a sudden silence was a symptom of a serious illness in Bila. Or a symptom of the closeness of Kythalie Benmual, these last days. But what was true was that the mere memory of his experience with the Tear still marveled the half-cardassian, to the point of muting him. After a minute, he resumed the thread of his own discourse, though his words were tinged with a hint of reverence. “... Well, what I saw there left a lasting impression on my life, I can guarantee that. And I have made some important decisions as a consequence of what I saw there.... however incomprehensible they were to those around me" Bila didn't elaborate on what he had done, but his grayish skin took on a paler tone than usual, while a mysterious smile grew on his lips.

But that smile soon vanished when the other man expressed his condolences for what Bila had experienced.  Okafor didn't even finish the ... apologize?, and leave to the chemist's imagination what he considered so difficult to say. Perhaps it was hard to grow up in a world occupied by a militaristic society? Or the hardships of being a hybrid of two conflicting races? Or that his upbringing as someone who had disposed of the Federation's own advantages and advances made it difficult for him to understand what it was like to live on the edge between life and death for years? Bila was unsure about what Okafor trully want to said, but whatever it was, the hand that settled upon his shoulder was somehow amicable and the dark eyes that looked at him exuded empathy. The hybrid shrank slightly under Okafor's hand. Even if it was a well-intentioned touch, he wasn't used to physical contact and he has always kept a prudent distance from most people friendly displays. He had learned to keep a reasonable detachment in his own interest, and the shows of fellowship and familiarity were awkward to him in most instances. So, when he recovered a bit from the initial surprise, he patted the hand on his shoulder lightly, not quite knowing how to answer to that gesture. "I... well.... I can't change what it was, just learn about it," he replied hesitantly. "And move on. After all, the Prophets designated my path that way for some reason, and it is only at the end of my life that the why of that path will be revealed to me."

Reply #22
[ Lt. Tyreke Okafor | Below Decks Lounge | Deck 28 | USS Theurgy ] @Numen
[Show/Hide]

The tears of the Prophets. The orbs. The strange… devices? Artifacts? Magic crystals? Soul jars? Whatever they were, Okafor had only ever heard of them. He had heard stories from the bajorans, heard wind of a report involving some monster of fear summoned by a fragment of an orb, but never actually encountered one. It sounded like an experience that would ensure he never saw the universe the same way again. And judging by how Bila spoke of his decisions it must be quite an experience indeed.

“Bila what… What happened to you in the orb’s vision? I know that this is a personal experience but what happened? Pardon me saying but what you said is very concerning, do you… do you know what’s going to happen? To us and Thea and the crew and everyone?” His voice came out calm and drawn, yet cautious and somewhat like the vocal equivalent of trying to juggle ceramic teapots.

Okafor removed his hand from Bila’s shoulder. It was clear to him that it was making the man uncomfortable, and in retrospect that was understandable. In fact… maybe this was best left for another time. Probably, actually.

“Ah, hey, actually.” Okafor began. “Maybe we should continue this at another time? Sorry if this is abrupt, I just feel as if I’ve said something better left untouched, so… yes. Besides, you have helped me in a profound way Mr. B- Mr. Izar. I am in your debt, and I am… sorry for asking about the Prophets.”

He turned towards his workspace and gathered the PADDs displaying the cell data and technocytes. Bila’s input was a stroke of genius, but it was clear that there was more to this man’s life than he thought.

OOC: Ah, hey, sorry it's so short, I was not doing well today and this took long enough as it is. Sorry. Low writing day.

Reply #23
[Show/Hide]

When Okafor removed his hand from his shoulder, Bila loosened his muscles involuntarily and let out a sigh of relief. He felt no animosity against his fellow scientist, but the contact had been so unexpected that he had failed to prepare himself properly for it. So, before answering the Biologist, Bila took some time to reflect. First of all because it was inappropriate to fully unveil what the Prophets had said. Secondly because the experience was, indeed, a life-changing, but it was diffusely imprinted on his memory, as if he was trying to grasp a stream through his fingers, muddy and blurred. In the past, when his life experience had reached one of the moments that They had revealed him, he had been fully aware of this fact and had had the chance to act accordingly. Even without being able to elucidate if the choices that he made in those instances were the correct ones. Or if they were those that the Prophets had designated for him. Whatever the case, the hybrid knew one thing for sure and that is what he told Okafor. "I' m not sure if part of what I saw on the Orb has to do with this starship, or with its crew. The only thing I know for sure is that the Prophets taught me about a future, one set many years away, where my hair was whiter than dark. I cannot give you vain hopes about what will happen to this vessel, Lieutenant, but I can assure you that, as far as the Prophets are concerned, THERE IS A FUTURE. We can only strive to have all the crew of this ship there to see it." Bila knew that his words weren't the most hopeful. After all, they were something like 'I don't know if there's a future for you, but at least I'll survive this misfortune and live long after it'. But it was the only thing he could tell him without failing to tell the truth, and without revealing how little he remembered of the brief and confused vision of the Prophets. At least of that part of the vision which he could place with precision in time. The rest of what had been revealed to him had either been fulfilled or was so ubiquitous that it could happen at any time between that same day and twenty years from then onwards.

For his part, the man with whom he shared the desk hastened to finish the meeting, excusing himself for a non-existent offense. "Maybe it would be better to continue this conversation some other day" Bila agreed with a warm smile etched in his gray face. "But not because you' ve broached a taboo subject, but because I don't want you to be uncomfortable with my presence," he explained as he stood up. He then made a brief bow from the waist, a respectful gesture from the province where he had grown up. "I'm glad I was able to help. Don't hesitate to contact me if you want to talk another time, whether it's about science or about... other matters," he offered as a farewell before leaving the lab.

As he made his way through the corridors towards the Chem Lab, Bila found that his heart was lighter and his mood more cheerful. The two meetings he had held in the day had been very fruitful for the hybrid, at least in his endevour to establish ties with the crew of that new assignment that fate had granted him. If all the members of that starship's crew were of the same quality as Counsellor Ejek and Lieutenant Okafor, Bila might soon call the USS Theurgy is new home.

FIN

OOC: Due to the circumstances in which I' m writing atm I can't format the text color right now. Would do it asap

Simple Audio Video Embedder