Skip to main content

• 2019-04-30: Season 1 has come to an end, and we have just begun to write in the Aldea Prime Anthology between Seasons. Read more in the Main OOC thread!
  • 2019-06-01: Until we've entered the Aldea Prime phase fully, with away missions launched and a means for In-Character recruitment to the hidden ship being set up, recruitment is now closed. This also in regard to Inheritance, not counting Applicants that have already applied for a character. The joining the crew page has been updated accordingly.
  • 2018-12-17: Did you know that you can change the ship displayed on the site in your Look and Layout settings? Pick your favourite ship or warp fighter! You can also add writing requests to your Forum Profile.
  • 2018-12-17: If you check your character page, and click on the Academy Class link at the bottom of the page, you can see who your character went to the Academy with. Perfect for Director's Cut board shenanigans!

Topic: [2381/Earth] Meet The Tirans  (Read 101 times) previous topic - next topic

[2381/Earth] Meet The Tirans
[ Capt Erich Ducote | Tiran Residence | Houston Suburbs | Earth ] attn: @BZ

He had requisitioned a type-9 shuttlecraft for the journey from San Francisco. There were certain things for which physical travel seemed necessary - when simply teleporting onto someone's front porch might be abrupt. Intrusive. Impolite. For someone as rules-obsessed as he, it just wasn't done, and so he could not. The fact that the (albeit short) travel time gave him some moments to himself was entirely incidental. Erich estimated he had the rest of the day at least to wait before he could sit down and process the news he'd received forty hours ago. The second call he had made after reading the report had been to Ratela, on Tellar.

[Show/Hide]

The Endeavour had been destroyed. Rescue ships were dispatched, but there was a transwarp signature in the area and the flotilla had initially hung back to await heavier reinforcements from Outpost 23. Escape pod beacons were detected, and some survivors found. But so few from the crew of hundreds. And none more senior than a lieutenant. Then they'd found the hulk of the cruiser, inert, trailing atmospheric gases and propellant. More bodies aboard, confirming KIAs from the long list of missing officers.

Twenty ships with active scans made short work of the relevant volume. 24 hours into the search, and every last lifeboat with an active beacon had been found. Several whose beacons had failed, too. Small craft wreckage betrayed the fate of the Endeavour's shuttle complement. Most of the flotilla made for medical facilities nearby, with only a couple of ships remaining to perform a token search for stragglers. The group captain had decided that they had discovered all they could.

His son had not been found. Evacuated through a hull breach, perhaps. Or assimilated. For now, he was still able to (mostly) dispassionately consider those possibilities.

But there was another factor to consider. Blue Tiran.

Another one Missing, Presumed Dead.

It had taken a small amount of digging - less than Blue might have previously implied - to find her parents. They still lived in the home from which Blue had absconded on her way to Starfleet, that she'd had to give the recruiters to avoid the extra paperwork of going in 'unaccompanied'. He couldn't leave this to some Diplomatic lackey, or some stuffed jacket from the Corps of Engineers over Mars who wouldn't have the first clue who she was. He had to do it himself. It was the done thing. It had cost him a couple of favours, and he owed one or two more, but he'd swung it so that he could be the one to deliver the news.

And so the sleek form of a type-9 shuttle was landing on a wide suburban thoroughfare in the shade of a poplar tree on a late afternoon in Houston. It was a smaller shuttle, so it wouldn't block the street, but that didn't mean you could miss its arrival. That didn't stop Erich from powering it down properly and ensuring everything was neatly secured before he stood from the chair and straightened his jacket.

He'd changed into his dress whites, his gold shirt and four pips the indicators of his station and responsibility. Long-service and meritorious-conduct ribbons made a narrow, colourful strip on one breast of his ivory jacket. He took a breath, then stepped down the descending access ramp and turned towards the nearest house, walking around the engine faring that still tick-tick-ticked away as it cooled.

The heat here prickled his brow, but it was nothing compared to the humid oppression of home, or even the cooler-but-coastal air of San Fran. It was dry. And perhaps packing the white coat had done him a favour here, too. He checked a mid-size PADD in his hand as if making sure he was in the right place, despite knowing full well the coordinates had been correct and he hadn't misremembered them in the first place.

The house itself was single-storey, with a wide porch that wrapped around at least the front three walls of the building. The front garden was immaculate, with terrestrial and imported flowers waving happily in the scant breeze. Either the Tirans had recovered from their string of bereavements, or they had thrown themselves into their surroundings as a distraction. And here he was, to peel open those wounds anew.

"Stop stalling," he grumbled to himself, walking through the gate and latching it behind him.

Relatively reflective his dress jacket might be, but getting under the eaves of the house still took most of the edge off the sun beating down on him. His heels thunked into the decking as he reached towards the doorbell and pressed it.

He tucked the PADD under one arm, then tugged at a cuff to even them out a little, before standing with his hands clasped behind his back to await an answer. They were in; he'd scanned the house on the approach.

"God give me strength," he whispered almost imperceptibly to himself.
Nator 159:
[Show/Hide]
Ranaan Ducote:
[Show/Hide]
Evoras:
[Show/Hide]

Re: [2381/Earth] Meet The Tirans
Reply #1
[Eleanor & Richard Tiran | Houston, Texas | Earth | Nail in the Coffin]
@Top Hat

The home was a lovely sprawling ranch style home sandwiched in a very average and ordinary neighborhood.  The orange-red brick and the white trim were obviously well kept to all the passers by as they came past the Tiran home.  The mailbox, an archaic and never used attraction, at the end of the small sidewalk that lead towards the street, showed their last name in lovely flowing white letters.  Beneath the windows and underneath the porch lovely flowers both terran and alien in nature swayed slightly to the slight reprieve of the Houston breeze that made life a bit more tolerable when it blew.  When it didn't, the heat was sticky, oppressive, and just plain uncomfortable.  It was a testament to this discomfort that despite being in the middle of the day there were no children outside running around playing games of Starfleet or tag.  Instead, the thrum of environmental units filled the air keeping the homes at the right temperatures to avoid heat stroke and to invoke comfort.

The porch was rimmed with white pickets.  Some of which had been allowed to be over run by a flowering ivy that was spewing it's petals towards the sky in an effort for as much food as possible.  On the porch itself sat a few rocking chairs though no one in their right mind would be outside using them in this heat.  That was best saved for after dark, and with as much anti-insect deterrent as you could stand.  The mosquitoes were blood sucking vampires that left itchy welts behind.  No one was kind to them. 

As Erich Ducote stepped onto the porch the scent of lavender and mint assaulted his senses.  In large over flowing pots on the porch these plants stood, a natural mosquito deterrent, in an effort to at least cut down on the population.  As he stepped onto the porch a small chime was heard inside the home.

"Rich, someone is at the door."  called a woman's voice from the kitchen where she sat pouring her iced tea into a large tall glass already starting to bead with condensation. 

"I heard the chime Elle." he paused at the small panel in the kitchen and thumbed across it showing the video feed of the man in dress whites on the porch.  A serious expression on his face as he stood there looking at the door waiting for entrance.  "It's... someone from Starfleet."

Eleanor's head popped up and swiveled over to see her husband.  He was older, time had been hard on the both of them.  The death of Arthur had sent them into a deep depression and it was only when Angela came home about four years ago that they she had intervened and gotten them help.  Grey heathered the once dark black hair of her husband.  At the temples and the sides, though had left the top mostly untouched for now.  She herself had a thick black braid of curls down her own back neatly kept though thick strands of silver flowed through it like a ribbon. 

"Why would... do you think it's.. it's about Em?  We had wondered.. hadn't we?" she said softly as she put the pitcher of tea down nervously.  They hadn't had any word on their daughter Emelia for so very long, they hadn't even realized she had left for a long time.  A ashamedly amount of time.  "Wait!  What if it's about Arthur!" she spun the hope budding in her eyes.

"Elle, we buried him a long time ago, and spent our lives.. Em's life.. grieving.  It's can't-"

"But it could" she said swallowing with all the hope in the world.  Rich sighed softly and shook his head.  "I better let him in." Rich said brushing a hand through his hair nervously as he walked to the front of the house. 

"I'll pour more tea." she said getting down two more glasses of sweet iced tea, the drink of the South, and poured them as well.

Captain Ducote was only outside for a matter of three or so minutes before the front locks disengaged and the door opened.  Revealing that Blue took after her father in a great many ways.  She had his sharp nose, those crystalline blue eyes, and he was fairly thin.  He wore a pair of denim shorts with cargo pockets, no shoes, and a old comfortable t-shirt with the logo of his company emblazoned on the front.  His eyes took in the Captain with his hat and PADD tucked to the side, and then gave a bit of a smirk to the man and held out his hand.

"Richard Tiran, pleasure to meet you, uh, Captain." he said warmly and then once handshakes were out of the way he moved to the side allowing Erich into the comfort of environmental controls and a life without sun. 

While the sun wasn't beaming down any longer, the home was filled with light.  There were tons of windows letting in natural lighting.  "If you'll follow me."

The men walked down a very short hallway and into the great room.  There was a sitting area around a viewing screen mounted to the wall.  Two small white chairs and a large long white couch.  A table in the center of all of these.  Through the windows in the back of the room, Erich would be able to see a virtual Eden of flowers out in the backyard.  Behind the living area was a small dining area and a doorway to the kitchen.  It was there, that Blue's mother, Eleanor stepped out with a tray full of sweet iced tea, and come store bought cookies. 

"Hello." she said brightly as she motioned to the chair.  "Please make yourself comfortable." she said warmly as she dolled out the tea and then left the cookies in the center of the table so that anyone could at if they wanted to.  Once everything was settled the way she liked the Tirans took their seat on the couch adjacent to the Captain's chair and looked at him.  She with hope, he with curiosity.

"Is this about Arthur?" Eleanor blurted out quickly.  "He .. he was found?"

"Elle!  What the hell!  I told you this can't be about Arthur.  He's dead.  Remember?"

"But they.. they never found his body maybe they found him on some planet or he was taken or.. or he was in an escape pod all these years and he's been just fine!  Miracles happen, Richard!"

Richard sighed and his face aged slightly as he turned his attention back to the Captain.  "I'm sorry, I forgot to introduce my wife, Eleanor.  What can we do for you today, Captain?"
Zyrao:
[Show/Hide]
Eun Sae Ji
[Show/Hide]
Blue Tiran:
[Show/Hide]
Zephyr:
[Show/Hide]

Reply #2

Erich reflected that he should probably set about amending the theory of relativity at some point; namely, The length of a minute depends upon which side of an air-conditioned door you stand. Even in the shade, the oppressive heat and restrictive uniform were conspiring to leave beads of sweat on the back of his neck, despite his warm homeland and tropical current home. Nevertheless, he didn't move. Eventually, he heard footsteps approaching the door.

"Richard Tiran, pleasure to meet you, uh, Captain." He had Blue's face, he realised. Not that it should be surprising, all things considered, but the resemblance was still fairly close. His hair, though, more closely resembled Erich's own, with its dark hues and grey temples.

Erich shook the proffered hand and followed him inside, suppressing the urge to sigh in relief at the cooler air. The view out of the rear windows told a tale of more flower beds and immaculately-tended gardens. Rather different from Ratela's 'cultured wilderness' style that she maintained in their little orchard terrace.

"Hello. Please make yourself comfortable." Eleanor Tiran.

Ducote smiled politely and sat in the indicated seat, though not before he pulled a slim black case out of his pocket, decorated only with a stamped UFP laurel, and set it on the table near him - perfectly, squarely aligned with the edge of the surface, next to his glass of tea.

"Is this about Arthur?" came a sudden question. He blinked and hurried to catch up as Richard engaged in a back-and-forth with her. Arthur, the dead sibling. Whom Eleanor clearly wanted to still be alive, but missing somewhere. And now he had to tell her that one of her daughters was being assumed dead, but truthfully hadn't been found either.

Finally, and far too late, he realised what an error he'd made coming here. He was neither prepared nor qualified to navigate this particular minefield. He made a rapid mental calculation without meaning to - the latest marques of diplomatic cutter could maintain warp 8 comfortably.. but he wasn't sure if Tellar had many to spare for a last-minute journey like Ratela's, even if they were a Founder World. Call it warp 7 for safety... that put her days away.

No. You're here. You're here now. You fix it.

"I'm sorry, I forgot to introduce my wife, Eleanor. What can we do for you today, Captain?"

The veteran officer cleared his throat, his face still unchanging through years of long practise. "It's a pleasure to meet you both, though I wish it were under better circumstances. My name is Captain Erich Ducote, of Starfleet Security..." he looked at Eleanor specifically for a moment, "I am afraid this isn't about Arthur, no."

He shifted in his seat, wondering how best to go about this. "Ah, tell me - what do you know of your daughter-" he hitched on the name 'Blue', "-Emelia? Was there any contact she made after she left home?"
Nator 159:
[Show/Hide]
Ranaan Ducote:
[Show/Hide]
Evoras:
[Show/Hide]

Reply #3
[Eleanor and Richard Tiran | Houston, Texas | Earth | Awkward Silences & Disbelief]
@Top Hat

The Tirans watched the Captain with apt curiosity.  One with eyes filled with hope the kind that clung to things that made no sense.  Even after all these years, even after losing all her children in one way or another, gaining one back, and not being able to find the youngest, she still held hope.  But, it wasn't hope that all her children were well, it wasn't hope that Emilea was just on the porch hiding and they had somehow found her after she had left home just after high school.  It wasn't any of that, it was the hope that Arthur was miraculously alive.  No matter his mental and physical state, no matter the horrors that he had seen or experienced, she just knew that Starfleet wouldn't be here if it weren't for Arthur.  The other, was filled with simple curiosity and a bit of trepidation of what this meeting could actually mean.  He had no doubts it had nothing to do with Arthur, that had been so long ago, he hoped that it wasn't bad news but for a Starfleet Captain to be sitting across from him in his living room, it was doubtful it was good news.

Richard sat there, and watched the man as he pulled a small black case out of his pocket and lined it up carefully on the table before them.  They could both see the UFP logo emblazoned on the top but there was no telling exactly what was inside.  The Captain, introduced himself again and told them he was from Starfleet Security.

"I'm sorry... Security?" Richard stated as he leaned forward a bit before settling back again.  Waiting to see what it was that was going on.

When he mentioned that this had nothing to do with Arthur Eleanor's face fell.  The hope escaped her eyes for a moment and her shoulders slumped.  Despite knowing that he was likely dead, and they had indeed had a funeral for him and everything, she had always held hope that he would come back.  That they would be wrong and Starfleet would have come back with him yet.  Saying they were wrong, they found him, and he was coming home finally.  Richard squeezed her hand gently and they waited to see what else the man had to say. 

When the Captain continued asking what they knew about Emilea, their bodies tensed significantly.  Eleanor looked over at Richard who was staring at the Captain.  She was the first one to speak though.  "I knew that she would end up getting herself in trouble.  Remember that we found all that stuff in her room, notes home from teachers.  Disrespectful attitudes, cursing, and lack of motivation!  I didn't think she would amount to much of anything."

"Eleanor!  You can't fault her for what she has or hasn't done.  We ..."

"No!  Don't you blame me for this!" she said indignantly.

"I'm not blaming you, I'm blaming myself as much as anyone.  We created what she became."

"No!  We raised her to be a good person, and she turned into some kind of mean girl."

Richard sighed.  "No, we raised her for a while, then she raised herself.  You chose not to see it because it's easier for you to believe.  We don't know what she has or hasn't done.  I'm sorry Captain, I'll answer your question."

"She ran away!"  Eleanor jumped in.  "right after high school.  We don't know where she went, or what she was doing.  All we know is that we haven't seen her in a very long time."

Richard ran a hand down his face and pinched the bridge of his nose in a very Blue manner, like when she was getting ready to lose her shit on someone.  Erich would have seen it a lot during her visits.  He finally took a deep breath and looked at the Captain.  "It's true, Em ran away from home right after high school.  My wife and I were in a dark place, we .. failed in our jobs.  We looked for her for a few years but we could never find anything about her.  We assumed she had gone off like her sister.  Angela has returned home recently, and helped us a lot.  But, we still can't find Em.  I assume you aren't here because you wanted to get to know my family.  So, do you know what happened to our daughter?  Where she is?"

"If she's caused trouble then we aren't-" Eleanor started before Rich's hand came down on her own and gave it a squeeze.

"If she's caused trouble, we will be there for her, like we weren't in the past." he said firmly.
Zyrao:
[Show/Hide]
Eun Sae Ji
[Show/Hide]
Blue Tiran:
[Show/Hide]
Zephyr:
[Show/Hide]

Reply #4

Disrespectful attitudes, cursing, and lack of motivation. He couldn't help but smile sadly for a second before his face restored its passivity. He could at least say that by the time she got to the Academy, that last accusation was false. The others, though...

He allowed the conversation to play out between the married couple. With every declaration and disagreement he was building a clearer picture of the terrain in the room, and there was no real need for him to interrupt. Eleanor was understandably clinging to the hope that her children would come home, whereas Richard had resigned himself to the probabilities. Erich wondered where on that spectrum he was; he wanted to say that his son would be coming home for R&R, as soon as he was cleared by Medical perhaps, but a dozen ships with full-spectrum scans had failed to pick up any more escape pods or shuttles, nor any other trace thereof.

But Ranaan was dead or drone, now. He would have to come to terms with that.

"If she's caused trouble, we will be there for her, like we weren't in the past."

The captain nodded. "Well, that won't be necessary, Mister Tiran. I can fill in some of the gaps for you, however. When she ran away from here, she went to the nearest Starfleet recruitment office. She started her training at the Academy that year. The reason you were never notified is that she requested you not be. Given that she was found to have the capacity and the legal status to do so, Starfleet abided by that request." He slid the PADD over the table towards them - across the top were the words Lieutenant Commander TIRAN, Emelia "Blue" Marguerite. "Her service jacket. Every aptitude score, peer evaluation, commendation... reprimand." He gave another wry smile. "She never stopped cursing, either. But despite her rough edges, no instructor nor superior officer could doubt her ability. She made Assistant Chief Engineer on her third assignment, to the Gettysburg, and Chief on her fourth. The Endeavour."

Erich opened the slim black case in front of him, then turned it around to face the Tirans and pushed that over the table towards them, too. "A Gold and a Diamond Star, for meritorious conduct and sang-froid in extremis. The exact citations are listed in her record, there."

He shifted in his seat, and took a sip of the sweet tea to wet his suddenly-parched mouth. "She also engaged, a few months ago." He hesitated; this would put together another missing piece - namely why he in particular was here. "To the First Officer of the Endeavour: Commander Ranaan Ducote."

There he did pause, partly to allow them room to ask any questions, and partly to collect himself and ensure he maintained his stoic countenance. Saying the following news aloud to someone outside his immediate family or the Fleet almost felt like making it unavoidably real. He cleared his throat before it became too hoarse, his gaze switching outwardly-calmly between Eleanor and Richard.
Nator 159:
[Show/Hide]
Ranaan Ducote:
[Show/Hide]
Evoras:
[Show/Hide]

Reply #5
[Eleanor & Richard Tiran | Houston | Texas | Earth | Heart Broken but Proud]
@Top Hat

As the Captain spoke, Richard's heart fell into his stomach.  If they didn't need to be there for Emelia, if she didn't need back up, and yet a Captain from Starfleet was here to talk to them; it likely wasn't going to be the news they wished to hear.  He shifted up right as the Captain admitted to being able to fill in the gaps.  He explained that Emelia had left home, running away, and joined the Starfleet Academy.  She had purposefully asked that her parents not be notified and since she was a full on adult, they couldn't stop her from doing so.  Eleanor held her hand over her chest, clutching her shirt there, and hanging onto every word that came out of the Captain's mouth.

"Just like Arthur, she followed his footsteps." she whispered softly, as tears welled into her eyes but they didn't fall yet, still she clung to hope.  It was there in the eyes, in the rapt attention that the Captain Ducote was getting at this moment.

The Captain pulled out his PADD and opened it with his own thumbprint before he slid it across the table.  Richard was the one that carefully picked it up, across the top was [Lieutenant Commander, TIRAN, Emelia "Blue" Marguerite].  He twisted his hand so that Eleanor could look at it and her breath hitched.  There was a picture of Blue, on the left corner of it.  When they clicked on it, it got larger, and there was a fairly recent picture of a woman that couldn't be bothered to take pictures.  The riotous black and blue curls, the pips on her collar, the fact that she wore the colors of Engineering.  Her eyes were fierce and yet, kind in a way.  Richard swallowed the lump that had formed in his throat at the picture of his daughter.  There was a small blue line at the bottom [previous official images].  He clicked it and there was a picture of Blue for every year she was in Starfleet as an officer.  Every promotion, every time she needed a new ID because it had been another year.  It was like watching her grow up a little bit, in a way.

Richard looked up from the pictures as Captain Ducote continued to speak about Emelia.  About how she never quit cursing but outside of that her instructors and Captain's never found any true fault with her.  Not really, anyway.  On the main page she had a fair amount of reprimands.  But, he wasn't paying attention to those at the moment, he was listening about how smart she was.  How she was Assistant Chief, then Chief of Engineering of a whole Starfleet ship!  He was amazed that she had turned out so well, all on her own.  He knew that despite Eleanor's hope, they had little to nothing to do with how Emelia had grown up. 

"Chief Engineer and Lieutenant Commander."  Richard rubbed a hand across the back of his head in disbelief.  He swallowed heavily, listening to the accolades of the daughter they had forgotten.  Who had kept her shit together somehow and become amazing in her own right.  He looked over at his wife, who was looking at the pictures of Emelia and sniffling softly. 

"She's all grown up." she whimpered softly.

"She did good for herself, Elle." he said in a gentle tone.

Another something slid across the table and Richard looked down to find two shining medals there on black velvet and in a black case.  A Gold star and a Diamond Star.  He looked up at the Captain as he explained what they were for and let out a long breath.  "She.. she turned into a good person then.  I always wondered, my wife and I .. went through a really dark time and .. when we finally got around it she was gone.  We tried at first to find her, but there was nothing out there.  She just, disappeared.  I had hoped one day she would come home and see us, but... I think she went off to find her own life and make her own family it seems."

He flipped back to the Jacket and looked through it.  "It says she published sixteen studies on AI and Engineering.  She also has some highly acclaimed papers on some sort of PADD Interface system.  She worked on several ships."

"She was always good at making things out of nothing." Eleanor whispered softly leaning close to look at the PADD with her husband. 

The Captain spoke again, and both of the Tiran's looked at him as he did so.  Stating that she had recently been engaged.  Eleanor smiled at that one, and Richard followed suit a moment later.  "You see that, we didn't break her!  We didn't.  I .. I feared we had.  She must have been very lonely." Eleanor said softly as she smiled.  Though they were both extremely surprised when he mentioned the man by name.  Not only was he a  First Officer, but he was a Ducote, and this man's son.

"So then, you're not just from Starfleet, you're family." she smiled brightly and gave Richard a squeeze on his arm. 

Richard had thumbed through Blue's service record.

"Why.. did she go by Blue?  I've never heard this name before?" Richard asked.

"What about the Commander?!  How did she meet him?  What were they like together?  Do you have any pictures of them?  I want to know all about what happened!"

Richard tilted his head to the side, as he studied the Captain's face, and the fact that he was here.  After all he made it clear that Emelia had asked them not to be notified.  He was here with her service jacket, her medals, and it wasn't because Emelia had wanted them to reunite.  She wasn't here, just he was.  So it wasn't with good news and good fortune.  He would only be here if... if it was the end.

"She... she's gone isn't she?" Richard asked, his voice dropping in and out as the sorrow of never getting to see his daughter hit him right in the gut.

"What?" Eleanor stopped thinking of other questions as that came about.

Richard didn't answer, he just looked at Erich and waited.
Zyrao:
[Show/Hide]
Eun Sae Ji
[Show/Hide]
Blue Tiran:
[Show/Hide]
Zephyr:
[Show/Hide]

Reply #6

Richard's talk seemed mostly for his own benefit, and so Erich declined to put in - instead, he sat quietly, wondering how best to navigate the minefield he had idiotically crashed right into. It was something, though, to see the two damaged people across from him enjoy the window into Blue's life... something they had managed to deny themselves when she was just a child. For all of Ranaan's faults - the irascible stubbornness, the absolute refusal to talk to him about anything meaning he had to monitor his son's progress through mutual acquaintances instead - he couldn't imagine a life where he might have had all that ahead of him and somehow cut himself out of it.

Once upon a time, he might have offered a silent There but for the grace of God go I, but now his son was dead. He would get to experience their grief for himself anyway.

"So then, you're not just from Starfleet; you're family."

A muscle ticked in Erich's jaw involuntarily, before he gave a pained smile at another loss. "Ah, yes, I suppose I am."

"Why... did she go by Blue?"

"A nickname she picked up at school or the Academy, I think. Eyes, hair... demeanour. Rather than be branded by it, she made it her own. I made the mistake of calling her Emelia to her face precisely once - she very much preferred to be known as Blue."

"What about the Commander?! How did she meet him? What were they like together? Do you have any pictures of them? I want to know all about what happened!"

"I... don't, actually, have any pictures of them," he realised, looking off to one side. All the times he'd sworn that Blue wasn't 'suitable' or was some sort of miscreant who had lucked her way up the ladder, because he didn't like that Ranaan had fallen in with someone who wasn't a careerist or from a line of public servants like he was... despite how obviously they worked well together, and propped each other up in little invisible ways... Erich swallowed. A bitter pill of self-recrimination. "There, ah, will likely be several in my son's effects. I will send copies along when I get home. As for how they met-"

"She... she's gone, isn't she?"

Erich's gaze flicked to Richard's face, and stayed there. Eleanor sputtered, "What?"

"The Endeavour was destroyed five days ago on the fringes of the Azure Nebula. The primary phase of the search-and-rescue effort has concluded; several dozen officers and crew were found..." The veteran captain's face tightened, and he blinked into space a couple of times before resuming eye contact.

"Our children were not among them."

Ducote had to clear his throat. He wanted to tell them the truth, but after the initial reports and sensor returns, the information had been sequestered completely by order of Admiral Sankolov under the rationale of avoiding panic. A reasonable goal, but the alternative explanation offered couldn't be anything but a lie. Examination of the Endeavour hulk would reveal Borg weapon signatures, there were a couple of thousand personnel who knew of the transwarp traces...

"The SAR flotilla has changed focus to materiel recovery; the ship was not destroyed utterly and will therefore be salvaged and scrapped. The... the bodies left aboard will be recovered for funeral. If your daughter's remains are found, you will be notified.

"The USS Theurgy was detected in that volume after fleeing the attack on Starbase 84. According to the admiral in charge of the pursuit-" he chose his words carefully, "-it is likely that the Endeavour got in their way on the way into the nebula to hide, or perhaps threatened to detect them later; she was a science ship, with a sophisticated sensor array."

He took a deep breath, using the opportunity to correct his posture and manner. "I am sorry, to reintroduce Blue to your lives only to take her away again. Because- because your bereavement was a Fleet member, Starfleet counselling services are available to you should you request them. The contact details may be found in the public directory; just tell them your names and why you're calling, and they'll do the rest."

He had defaulted again to 'prosaic information dispenser' while he diverted his attention to controlling his own reactions. "Is... there anything I can do for you?"
  • Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 12:42:08 PM by Top Hat
Nator 159:
[Show/Hide]
Ranaan Ducote:
[Show/Hide]
Evoras:
[Show/Hide]